BECOME A MEMBER AND EMBRACE EXCLUSIVE ACCESS
Unlock exclusive features and connect with like-minded individuals by upgrading to our premium membership.
As a member, you'll gain access to our members-only forums, where you can:
Engage in meaningful discussions: Read, create, and search all threads and posts, fostering a vibrant community of like-minded individuals.
Establish deeper connections: Utilize our private messaging system to connect with other members on a personal level, fostering meaningful relationships.
Enjoy these benefits and more for just $2.99 per month, payable securely via PayPal.
Membership is flexible, allowing you to cancel anytime without any hassle.
Sign up today and embark on a journey of personal growth and connection. Join our community of passionate individuals and unlock a world of possibilities.

Click https://limerence.net/membership-accoun ... p-checkout

Is medication good for limerence?

A place for those new to this site. The more experienced users of this site tend to frequent the members only section more.
Zsababy
United States of America

Re: Is medication good for limerence?

Post by Zsababy »

If you start with meds that are less risky, going with a GP is probably ok. Buspar has been on the market for about 25 years. Usually newer drugs are less predictable because although they've been tested, we're still the guinea pigs. 😢
olv
Great Britain

Post by olv »

Zsababy wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:22 pm If you start with meds that are less risky, going with a GP is probably ok. Buspar has been on the market for about 25 years. Usually newer drugs are less predictable because although they've been tested, we're still the guinea pigs. 😢
Good to know, thanks. Oh wow I see, that’s very unfortunate, and if some people are searching last resort, there’s not much they can do but take the chance. Also what would you say about sertraline? Since I know that’s a much more commonly issued drug. I see so many people saying they’re so happy to be finally off their anti depressant medication which seems dooming. Is the concept that after you finish your course of medication, which you did alongside other implemented measures, to then be able to adapt to the environment you’ve created for yourself with this boosted mood without returning to square one again?
Zsababy
United States of America

Post by Zsababy »

olv wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:39 pm
Zsababy wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:22 pm If you start with meds that are less risky, going with a GP is probably ok. Buspar has been on the market for about 25 years. Usually newer drugs are less predictable because although they've been tested, we're still the guinea pigs. 😢
Is the concept that after you finish your course of medication, which you did alongside other implemented measures, to then be able to adapt to the environment you’ve created for yourself with this boosted mood without returning to square one again?
In your case, probably yes. For someone like me, with a significant mental illness, I'm pretty signed on for life.

I've never taken Sertraline, aka Zoloft. What it reminds me of is a study done many years ago where they found exercise to be as effective as Zoloft in many cases. If you don't have severe depression which is immobilizing and/or causes suicidality, I would try regular exercise first.
olv
Great Britain

Post by olv »

Zsababy wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:20 am
In your case, probably yes. For someone like me, with a significant mental illness, I'm pretty signed on for life.

I've never taken Sertraline, aka Zoloft. What it reminds me of is a study done many years ago where they found exercise to be as effective as Zoloft in many cases. If you don't have severe depression which is immobilizing and/or causes suicidality, I would try regular exercise first.
Oh okay, I see.
That’s interesting.
Exercise is the first thing the doctor brought up of course, which I do try to do, but overall the only positive I get out of exercising is the fact it’s just one less thing to feel guilty about for not doing.
olv
Great Britain

Post by olv »

StillLimerent wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:25 am I've been on medications for sometime and then was going off them. About 6 months on and 6 months off. I didn't have much side effects from Wellbutrin and it worked well for me. Meds that have longer half-life are usually the easiest to stop taking. The downside is that it may take 4-6 weeks for the meds to start working, and the first weeks it may feel worse until it starts feeling better. It's a trial and failure journey.

However, meds don't work for me if I don't exercise regularly. I am exercising 6-7 times a week and it really changes my moods and my brain chemistry to the better. My brain is very responsive to the combination of meds + exercise. And when I'm off meds, I tend to exercise a lot.

But everyone is different, so just sharing my own experience. I always tell the doctor that I don't want to take meds for a long time, so I need something that I can stop taking relatively easy.
I’m glad to hear you found medication that worked for you. It’s unfortunate that it works like that. Did medication alter your personality at all besides then potentially being in a better mood?
Wow so it’s like the power combo for you, that’s awesome. And did it only start to work out like that after you begun the medication?
I’d be in the same position, and when you’re off the medication do you notice a mood drop or does the exercise work well in reducing that?
NickMarone
Canada

Post by NickMarone »

I was prescribed Abilify a few years ago. It really helped my chronic major depression but it ultimately led me to gambling and addiction. I think it also fuels the limerence I have.

Nick
Some people claim that there's a woman to blame, but I think it's my own damn fault.
Zsababy
United States of America

Post by Zsababy »

To tack onto what Nick said, an antidepressant can rev you up if the dosage is too high or it just affects you that way.

Wellbutrin (buproprion) is a pretty well-known stimulant for sex drive, which may make you more limerant. Though antidepressants affect bipolar more strongly, just be aware that it could increase fantasizing, especially sexual.
olv
Great Britain

Post by olv »

JupiterTaco wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:48 am I was on anti-depressants for awhile. They helped take the uumph out of my emotions surrounding limerence if I remember correctly, but it didn't fix the loophole in my brain. Definitely a good start if you can find one that works for you (my mother was already the guineapig in that regard as she had a heck of a time finding medicines that would work for anxiety/depression with her particular emotional makeup, and that helped me).
That makes sense, and when you came off medication did your emotions surrounding your LO return? Is anything working for you to fix that loophole as of now? I have therapy and I feel like that should be useful but I just feel numb to it all.
That must’ve been hard, but I’m glad it was able to work out for you in that sense.
Zsababy
United States of America

Post by Zsababy »

olv wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:16 pm
I’m glad to hear you found medication that worked fo you. Did medication alter your personality at all besides then potentially being in a better mood?
Wow so it’s like the power combo for you, that’s awesome. And did it only start to work out like that after you begun the medication?
I’d be in the same position, and when you’re off the medication do you notice a mood drop or does the exercise work well in reducing that?
For me yes, the meds changed my personality but in a good way, and after much trial & error, they turned me into "myself", which is to say, the inner me that was submerged in severe depression, which slows cognition and can also make you very irritable & antisocial. I'm a lot less obnoxious too, but that has to do with mania & I know that's not your question.

The downside, & I don't want to scare you, is that sometimes you get a rebound effect where the original symptoms come back, but even worse. That happened with Effexor in terms of terrible anxiety. That has not happened with Buspar when I've missed a dose, but Paxil washes out of your system in about 24 hours, so if you run out, you're physically & mentally a bit screwed till you get more. Paxil is also pretty rough in general. It's older (from the late 80s) & some older meds can hit you like a brick as they hadn't gotten the kinks out of the formula yet.
JupiterTaco
United States of America

Post by JupiterTaco »

olv wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:51 am
JupiterTaco wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:48 am I was on anti-depressants for awhile. They helped take the uumph out of my emotions surrounding limerence if I remember correctly, but it didn't fix the loophole in my brain. Definitely a good start if you can find one that works for you (my mother was already the guineapig in that regard as she had a heck of a time finding medicines that would work for anxiety/depression with her particular emotional makeup, and that helped me).
That makes sense, and when you came off medication did your emotions surrounding your LO return? Is anything working for you to fix that loophole as of now? I have therapy and I feel like that should be useful but I just feel numb to it all.
That must’ve been hard, but I’m glad it was able to work out for you in that sense.
It's been awhile since I was limerent, but I recently almost fell limerent a little over a year ago again. I've found that for me, being in situations and with people who go against my inner peace and future goals and which are bad for me are a huge factor in falling back into addiction including limerence which would make sense.
"You know for a big black guy Cleveland's got a cute little white ass!" Peter, Family Guy
"Um...that wasn't Cleveland," Brian