Are we just limeresque in general?

Open forum ... what's on your mind? Want to vent or lament about your Limerent/Love Object? This is the ideal place.
Idiotic

Are we just limeresque in general?

Post by Idiotic »

I've been thinking about something, and perhaps this has come up now and then. It's about our limerent energies, the way limerent people apply themselves to people, and perhaps even other aspects of their lives... For instance , I've been engaged in something new, an intellectual pursuit of sorts ,and recently while 'pursuing' said subject, i felt that familiar pang, that feeling of anger, frustration and deep dissatisfaction, and I was like 'uh oh, i know this feeling well'. These past couple of years have made me a bit self aware and this is of course not the first time I've had this feeling in context of interests , other than people. But my last limerent episodes made me aware of this feeling, this feeling was what made limerence unbearable , and why I was googling love sickness in the middle of the night , a few years back.
Processing through stuff here led me to identify this as 'limerence' . In recent times this feeling was only evoked by people, people I thought would just solve my life, possessing them would fix EVERYTHING.
It's not just people though, it's how I approach everything that moves me , or gives meaning to my life, I want to use it to fill myself up, to end my angst, and when it doesn't do that, cos NOTHING can do that, I feel angry and dissatisfied.
NOTHING CAN SOLVE MY LIFE, or fill me up. I know that. I'm not complaining though, just thinking out loud. This is how I've always related to things , people, different interests.
Just Limerent towards everything.
I don't know what do with this Information, or how to be otherwise, at least I know that THIS new thing that Im after , is not the end to my problems.
I keep dancing on my own - Robyn

WishMagick

Re: Are we just limeresque in general?

Post by WishMagick »

Is it maybe that our expectations are too high?

I've always known that I have very high and unrealistic expectations about things in general. And that definitely includes relationships (platonic and romantic). Always expecting something to be "the answer" or "the fix" and it comes from a general emptiness inside that can never really seem to be filled?

Is that what you mean? I feel like that. Definitely.
I'm now limerence free! Mindfulness & Traditional spiritualism was my "cure".
"Being spiritual has nothing to do with what you believe and everything to do with your state of consciousness."

marko
United States of America

Post by marko »

We don't deal with that troubling feeling well, so it does spill over into many areas. I thought I enjoyed many things, but see that I really enjoyed them when under that strange stress. Like the LE roller coaster, life ebbs and flows and I'll take a ride on many escape trains. LE was all that on steroids.

PhoenixJB
United States of America

Post by PhoenixJB »

Idiotic, I think I understand too. For example I am this way with music... I find a new artist, completely fall in love, listen on repeat, read all interviews, etc.

Idiotic

Post by Idiotic »

marko wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:49 pm
but see that I really enjoyed them when under that strange stress.
Yup...
I keep dancing on my own - Robyn

Faith Hope Love

Post by Faith Hope Love »

Idiotic, thanks for posting this. I will consider it.

Some of your experiences that you share remind me of the Enneagram Type 4 personality. If you’re interested, you can check it out. I like the Enneagram because I found it helpful for finding some core issues and how to address them. I am a Type 3 and been able to do a lot of helpful work around that.

Here’s a link to their website: https://www.enneagraminstitute.com/type-descriptions

I don’t mean to tell you your personality type. That’s something you have to determine for yourself. They have a test there you can take if you want. Don’t know if that costs money though. Or if you’re interested. Just the overall dissatisfaction in life that you shared reminded me of the Type 4, “individualist.“

Best wishes!
I am a powerful, intelligent self-aware, and compassionate woman.

peter.rabbit
United States of America

Post by peter.rabbit »

PhoenixJB wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:02 pm
Idiotic, I think I understand too. For example I am this way with music... I find a new artist, completely fall in love, listen on repeat, read all interviews, etc.

I am like that, that is part of my obsessive tenancies.
Weak people revenge.
Strong people forgive.
Intelligent people ignore.
-Albert Einstein

limwrap

Post by limwrap »

I've definitely gotten "limeresque" about tons of stuff in my life! I tend to dive into things and get obsessive easily. One huuuuge one for me was a musician named Sufjan Stevens a couple years ago. He was absolutely perfect limerence fodder for me. I spent so much time diving into his music, his weird cryptic online journal, his short stories, etc. I feel like a lot of his fanbase is like that too. Maybe it's because he's like... a "deep" person with pretty obvious emotional wounds but who withholds any concrete explanation of what his work means or what happened to him. (SOUNDS PRETTY FAMILIAR HUHHHHH). There was a very small group of extremely dedicated fans around him. (He has a ton of regular fans, but the obsessed fan group was pretty small and insular.) Same with this group of Youtube comedians/game journalists I was really into about 2 years ago. I attached to this one guy named Pat who was kinda moody and laconic. He also had a very small group of intensely interested fans. SEEMS LIKE THERE MIGHT BE A PATTERN, HUH?

Otherwise, in general I tend to get "special interests" and then just blab about them to anyone who will listen. And then after some amount of time I burn out. Doctor Who was one, the McElroy brothers were kind of one, Sufjan...

Cookie
United States of America

Post by Cookie »

Yes on all of the above. Everything I've ever done has been obsessive. I can memorize song lyrics after just a listen or two and rarely forget a word. Phone numbers from years ago.

The good news: I am doing well in my career, which requires this component, and am finally making $$$. (Sorry, non-capitalists, but it's been a long time coming!)

The bad news: I approach every new idea as if it's going to be THE big thing in my life. So I'll do things like sign up for conferences and buy plane tickets first...then have to figure out why I'm going and how to make the most of it. It's backwards. All impulse driven. Like a child with a new toy every time.

Faith Hope Love, thanks for the info on Enneagram. I'm intrigued! Beyond Myers-Briggs we go. And of course, I will likely obsess about this new personality type and retrofit my life around it. :)) :-*
Person

JohnDeux

Post by JohnDeux »

Idiotic wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:32 am
marko wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:49 pm
but see that I really enjoyed them when under that strange stress.
Yup...
Ditto....and also took me a long time to really see that connection in my life.
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain...."~ The Wizard of Oz