Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

An interesting article on Limerence and grief

Open forum ... what's on your mind? Want to vent or lament about your Limerent/Love Object? This is the ideal place.
Walkingthroughpain

An interesting article on Limerence and grief

Post by Walkingthroughpain » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:48 pm

My LO and I became caught up in a mutually limerent flirtation that lasted for a few years but never became more than that. Both of us are married and coworkers in a fairly small company. He is now, quite rightly, trying to detach and we are mostly avoiding each other. I wasn't prepared for how painful this would be but am working through it. I am trying to distract myself by finding out about limerence and grief. I found this article (links to the article are at the bottom) and thought I would share it. http://summit.sfu.ca/item/16776. It is actually about Artificial Intelligence, but it's trying to figure out how to take into account distinctly human experiences. They think that very well developed robots might end up with perturbant emotions.

The article and slides link limerence and the intrusive thinking and rumination that takes over your mind to perturbance. This, in turn, led me to an article that said that there is some recent research on designing an app to assess ad improve treatments to help limerent related grief. Just thought it would be useful to bring to your attention another term that might help us understand what is happening to us.

daydreamer

Re: An interesting article on Limerence and grief

Post by daydreamer » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:13 pm

interesting. i thought about this very thing recently how human psychology should be modeled in computers, just like we model complex systems like immunology and climate. it would be cool to do psychology experiments "in silico" rather than by the usual questionnaire. i didn't know work was done on it as we speak or even before.

in my experience, that limerent intrusive thinking and rumination is hard to control, save for distraction yourself by other semi-addictive activities, like obsessively googling, reading, and writing about limerence, just like you're doing it yourself.
I'm limerence free and I'm not afraid of it anymore. I learn something new about myself and life everyday. There is hope and so much more. NC works. Be free, be happy! In retrospect, the LE was about the best thing that happened in my life.

marko
United States of America

Re: An interesting article on Limerence and grief

Post by marko » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:50 pm

daydreamer wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:13 pm
interesting. i thought about this very thing recently how human psychology should be modeled in computers, just like we model complex systems like immunology and climate. it would be cool to do psychology experiments "in silico" rather than by the usual questionnaire. i didn't know work was done on it as we speak or even before.

in my experience, that limerent intrusive thinking and rumination is hard to control, save for distraction yourself by other semi-addictive activities, like obsessively googling, reading, and writing about limerence, just like you're doing it yourself.
This is a huge thing for me in my journey. In my mind, everything became a distraction. I called myself and addictive ADHD aholic. Like endless online shopping, excersice, learning, etc., it filled in the in between LE moments. Another frustration in this for me as I never enjoyed all my hobbies and endeavors to begin with. I thought I did, now it's just a self healing myth. I keep on with the healthy things as they are passively and actively good as well.