Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

'Emotional Flashback'...

Talk therapy can help but at times less cognitive treatments are required. Anything related to ANY form of therapy goes here.
JohnDeux

'Emotional Flashback'...

Post by JohnDeux » Wed May 15, 2019 3:45 am

Did a quick search on this term in Limerence.net and didn't see any direct hits.....apologies if it's already cropped up before. Pete Walker and others who work directly on cPTSD have used this term to describe emotional 'hits' of being out of control, even when such triggering is not accompanied by images---the latter as would be the case in 'traditional' flashbacks as often occurs with combat veterans and others. The emotional flashbacks seem similar to what others have noted as 'amygdala hijacking' and I just post some relevant links here for others in case the concept is of use in possibly understanding and dealing with their LEs.....

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... -flashback

http://pete-walker.com/flashbackManagement.htm
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain...."~ The Wizard of Oz

David
Site Admin
Great Britain

Re: 'Emotional Flashback'...

Post by David » Wed May 15, 2019 7:17 am

thanks JD for the links.

Interesting and makes sense when coming to pre-verbal trauma. I agree re the suggestions to calm the over stimulated nervous system, to work with an attuned therapist that can create a safe and calming environment to process the feelings.
"Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate." - C.G. Jung

For Coaching, Mentoring see www.drdavidperl.com

Idiotic

Post by Idiotic » Wed May 15, 2019 8:42 am

Thanks for the topic JD. I jumped at the phrase amygdala hjacking cos that's exactly what it feels like, the times I've been overcome with anger.
I'll read the articles later but browsing through them, there was an ad for a quiz named ' Find out who's name is in your heart' ! =)) ... So thanks for the laugh also I guess.
I want to click on that quiz and waste my time
Boy...youre gonna carry that weight, carry that weight, a long time - Golden Slumbers(The Beatles)

Idiotic

Post by Idiotic » Wed May 15, 2019 8:51 am

Okay I took the 'quiz' with four different names and they all say someone who's name starts with 'J' will understand me bla bla bla...
Youre a J so... (Also JT)
I don't know then :-B

=)) =))
Boy...youre gonna carry that weight, carry that weight, a long time - Golden Slumbers(The Beatles)

daydreamer

Post by daydreamer » Thu May 16, 2019 6:00 pm

good points. i'm reading Walker's book, but i didn't get to that chapter yet. i liked the first link with the revelation of early trauma by leaving a crying baby alone. i was a much crying baby myself ("colic" that was probably undiagnosed food allergy) and with my inherited sensitivity it could have left lasting impression on my brain. besides, my parents were emotionally distant and showed conditional love, so that's obviously an another factor.

Sunflower
Great Britain

Post by Sunflower » Thu May 16, 2019 6:18 pm

I’ve been told in the past that preverbal trauma is often stored in your body - your body remembers trauma even if you can’t hence the emotional flashbacks. I know somatic therapy is supposed to help - just got to find one that works for you. Some people find massage really helps and Sacral cranial osteopathy can help clear blockages for some people. I’ve banged on about it before because it really helps me.

JupiterTaco
United States of America

Post by JupiterTaco » Sun May 19, 2019 5:24 pm

Idiotic wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:51 am
Okay I took the 'quiz' with four different names and they all say someone who's name starts with 'J' will understand me bla bla bla...

=)) =))
There's always that chance the internet knows me better than I do... :-o =))
"If we forgive our fathers, what is left?" Thomas Builds The Fire, Smoke Signals

Idiotic

Post by Idiotic » Sun May 19, 2019 8:27 pm

JupiterTaco wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:24 pm
Idiotic wrote:

=)) =))
Yup, it probably knows when we're gonna die too.

JupiterTaco
United States of America

Post by JupiterTaco » Mon May 20, 2019 4:00 am

Idiotic wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:27 pm
JupiterTaco wrote:
Idiotic wrote:

=)) =))
Oh don't be silly. Everyone and everything knows I'm going to die in my car... =))
"If we forgive our fathers, what is left?" Thomas Builds The Fire, Smoke Signals

Idiotic

Post by Idiotic » Mon May 20, 2019 8:34 am

JupiterTaco wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 4:00 am
Idiotic wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:27 pm
JupiterTaco wrote:

Oh don't be silly. Everyone and everything knows I'm going to die in my car... =))
Not if I can help it ! Bring it murderous car :ymbringiton: :o3