Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Media (Books/Movies/Plays, etc.) With Realistic PD Characters

Discuss your experiences about narcissism and relationships with narcissists here.
JupiterTaco
United States of America

Re: Media (Books/Movies/Plays, etc.) With Realistic PD Characters

Post by JupiterTaco » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:31 pm

Alaska-Perry is a Machiavellian PD-type who is flanked by his goofy and somewhat unintelligent enabler, Mr. Koontz. Perry lies about seeing evidence of the two lost teenagers to authorities; barely gives a baby polar bear basic needs while preparing to sell him internationally. He lies about being a photographer rather than poacher, and has no qualms about showing his greed otherwise, which comes to a head when two teenagers inadvertently let their captive baby polar bear escape.

Teenagers Sean and Jessie are new to Alaska after their dad in his grieving state, leaves his life in Chicago and uproots his kids to a remote Alaska community, where Jessie settles in nicely finding interest in outdoor activities. Sean has more trouble, missing the city, his sports teams, and video games. He knows his dad is running away from his problems, contrary to what his dad always told him about "never giving up". Sean and Jessie, long disagreeing, need each other's help traversing unforgiving wilderness to find their plane-wrecked dad.

Boys Don't Cry-Based on the murder of transvestite Brandon Teena (Teena Brandon) in Nebraska. One thing that happens at one point in the movie is when Brandon is driving and John Lotter's character has him fleeing police into the country trying to get away. After they get caught anyway John tells Brandon not to ever do that again and when Brandon told him he was the one telling him to race the car that was next to them, John denies responsibility and places the blame back on Brandon for messing up.

John Lotter's and Tom Nissen's characters are flanked by enablers and bystanders throughout the movie; Lana's mother, portrayed as a severe alcoholic in the movie who clings to her daughter's close relationship with John, a former felon; Candace (name changed) who it seems is known as somewhat of a gossiper, and Kate (name changed?), who it seems, never quite trusted Brandon. Candace is portrayed as the one who originally befriended Brandon; who changes her mind about him after finding out he wrote a fraudulent check and attempting to tell the others, who don't believe her at first.

John, who is somewhat friendly with Brandon at the beginning of the movie, does the "sizing up" game with him and his masculinity from the beginning, commenting on Brandon's "tiny hands" and finally calling Brandon a wuss when he realizes Lana is falling for Brandon. John, who seems determined to save face against Brandon, is the one who approaches Candace to get the truth from her and use that as his official vendetta against Brandon. Tom brags about him and John self-mutilating in prison.

Brandon has managed to charm all of the women in their social circle which seems to aggravate John, who is portrayed in the movie as having a failed relationship, with a daughter, and longtime feelings for Lana, borne of her writing him letters in jail from a young age. When John finds out Brandon is hiding more than his identity, things turn violent and deadly. Brandon seems to trigger John and Tom in a bigger way than they ever realized.

It's unclear why Brandon got tied up in crime before his foray into this small town in Nebraska, but running from his identity, past and life was a big problem that made things much worse for him and made him have to keep running, denying, and lying whilst hoping for a new start somewhere, somehow.
Seen online: "My last crush told me she didn't want to date me because I'm terrible in the sex department. Apparently it's illegal to break dildos so I'm no longer allowed in the store."

JupiterTaco
United States of America

Re: Media (Books/Movies/Plays, etc.) With Realistic PD Characters

Post by JupiterTaco » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:21 am

Drive (1997)-Vic Madison is an accomplished Machiavellian hitman, going from murderous to crocodile tears and then determined anger in a matter of seconds when police storm the bar and unemployed Malik tries to tell them what happened. Vic Madison does damage in what happens to be the hotel where his victim Toby and his "hostage" Malik stopped to rest; while laughing "who says violence is not the answer?"

Ride(1998)-chock-full of PD-types; video director Bleau Kelly, who skimps terribly on travel accommodations for her urban stars; hiring a barely-functioning, broken-down bus and a hotel in a bad neighborhood in Miami; Freddy B who signs Charity up under the guise of wanting to help her music career and sleeps with her; and Peaches and Byrd who rob neighborhood stores and then go cross-country following Geronimo who takes the money from them. They eventually put the whole bus in danger trying to get at Geronimo by parking a van in their way. Last but not least is Brotha, the young rapper obsessed with image and fortune, who wants to deny his pregnant girlfriend to boost his popularity; while messing around with Charity.

All Dogs Go To Heaven-If dogs could be PDs, Scarface would be it. He has many minions to dole out his punishment and cause destruction just because he feels like it.

Rescuers Down Under-McLeach obviously. Another animated PD-type who gave me nightmares in childhood, who poaches eagles, eagle eggs and treats his "flying monkey" lizard Joanna with unbelievable cruelty.

Boyz N The Hood-Brenda is a PD mom who is obvious in her favoritism of her younger son Ricky over her older son Doughboy. Doughboy's FLEAS include his obvious hatred of women. You see how he is triggered by one woman in particular, the neighborhood druggie whose child is constantly seen wandering in her diaper in the middle of the street.

Friday-Deebo is the most obvious example; breaking into people's houses and using the neighborhood fear of him to take what he wants when he pleases; while living off of and abusing neighborhood druggie Felicia. Big Worm is famous for his "playing with my money is like playing with my emotions" phrase. Smoky is FLEA-riddled by his PD-mom Joanne who expects her son to support her; that plus his weed dependence lead to him stealing from Big Worm, and he takes the coward's way out by naming Craig for sharing a joint with him. Craig's dad means well but it's clear that for awhile he doesn't understand the world his son has to live in.

Because Mommy Works-Based on actual events (names changed). Ted Forman wants custody of his son and thinks he deserves it just because his divorced wife now has to work and his new wife, his uncertain flying monkey, doesn't. You see how his second wife catches the first wife's eye as they go to take the boy away after a biased court system rules in favor of the couple versus the single.
Seen online: "My last crush told me she didn't want to date me because I'm terrible in the sex department. Apparently it's illegal to break dildos so I'm no longer allowed in the store."