Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Media (Books/Movies/Plays, etc.) With Realistic PD Characters

Discuss your experiences about narcissism and relationships with narcissists here.
JupiterTaco
United States of America

Re: Media (Books/Movies/Plays, etc.) With Realistic PD Characters

Post by JupiterTaco » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:00 am

Idiotic wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:46 am
Anaconda :-j
Hey Paul Sarone was a scary dude. :-o
Seen online: "My last crush told me she didn't want to date me because I'm terrible in the sex department. Apparently it's illegal to break dildos so I'm no longer allowed in the store."

JupiterTaco
United States of America

Post by JupiterTaco » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:05 am

Hush-a deranged MIL will stop at nothing to interfere in her son's marriage and dominate his pregnant wife.

Wizard Of Oz-Where the term "flying monkey" apparently came from; based off of the flying monkeys in the movie who would capture and/or terrorize Dorothy and her companions because the wicked witch wanted that. This is what PD-abuse victims experience when people come out of the folds to "bring them back" to their abuse after they leave or are discarded by the PD.

While we're on the subject, Idiotic's post made me think of something. I know Hollywood really dials up the thriller aspect of movies and makes movie villains as scary and undesirable as can possibly be. I took TV/Radio Broadcasting class in school and I've never really been scared of movies anyway, but overall I'm of the opinion that most movies, fiction or not, fantasy or not, do a pretty good job at portraying PD-types in movies and knowing when to say when.

Which leads me to my next point; I know that movies are made for entertainment, but what is it about movie/TV villains that make them so much more scary than the ones we deal with every day in real life? The ones who may want to take away our quality of life and sense of peace, but may not necessarily want to ohysically hurt or kill us? Who might honestly be okay with taking what they want at our expense and being completely "normal" while doing it.

More importantly, why is this considered entertainment? Why do people with toxic families want to sit and watch a deranged psychopath on TV? Is it to collectively sigh and thank heavens that their relatives/bosses/coworkers/whatever aren't that bad? Why is it that people don't want to read the news because they don't want to know all the bad things going on in the world, but they will sit and watch an excessively violent or otherwise triggering movie?

This show on Netflix, Killer Legends, really seems to drive the point home, that movie villains are more acceptable to us than the real monsters among us, including the ones inside of us.
Seen online: "My last crush told me she didn't want to date me because I'm terrible in the sex department. Apparently it's illegal to break dildos so I'm no longer allowed in the store."

Idiotic

Post by Idiotic » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:01 pm

JupiterTaco wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:00 am
Idiotic wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:46 am
Anaconda :-j
Hey Paul Sarone was a scary dude. :-o
I know he just wouldn't die!
Boy...youre gonna carry that weight, carry that weight, a long time - Golden Slumbers(The Beatles)

JohnDeux

Post by JohnDeux » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:03 am

JupiterTaco wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:05 am
..... but what is it about movie/TV villains that make them so much more scary than the ones we deal with every day in real life? The ones who may want to take away our quality of life and sense of peace, but may not necessarily want to ohysically hurt or kill us? Who might honestly be okay with taking what they want at our expense and being completely "normal" while doing it.

More importantly, why is this considered entertainment? Why do people with toxic families want to sit and watch a deranged psychopath on TV? Is it to collectively sigh and thank heavens that their relatives/bosses/coworkers/whatever aren't that bad? Why is it that people don't want to read the news because they don't want to know all the bad things going on in the world, but they will sit and watch an excessively violent or otherwise triggering movie?
So just shooting from the hip here.... Been re-reading a book David mentioned many moons ago, the tenuous thesis of which is that the most horrific of humankind's actions followed on the heels of......

....the Printing Press! :-??

So the guy's hypothesis is that literacy engages the brain in a way that images do not. He progresses to the idea that writing and reading are more linear activities whereas "thinking in pictures" is more of an instantaneous, multi-tasked endeavor. .......which he takes further to broadly posit that men/masculine is more linear thinking and women/female are more image-oriented. He sees the most violent periods in history as a sudden immersion of different cultures in the written word....noting that the 'Dark Ages' were low on science/art/music production in written form, yet from what records there are, seem to have been a period when masculine/feminine was 'rebalanced' for the better. All of this he sees as validating the notion that goddess-worship was not a minor cult phenomenon, but rather a characteristic of many developed societies in pre-literate times. Enter the printing press and a great smoting of the feminine occurred with the emergence of virulent patriarchy....and wars and bloodshed to match!

Just take that with a grain of salt and stay with me here..... b-(

Literacy isn't going away....yet **if** it is a component of a more violent tendency in populations, then what to do with that desire to take up arms? Now enter large scale depictions, in the 20th century, of blood-letting on the silver screen.....and delivered up to the masses. If part of the outcome of the mass wars/killings in the past was a satiation of the violent urge, then perhaps by viewing them nightly, the same 'relief' is being served. (..?) And better to have that relief sitting in your recliner than in other more active ways, yes..? So the next step for some enterprising graduate student would be to investigate violent outbreaks in recent years and the extent to which the population at large has access to the same viewing content as others around the world. Could the spread of massively-consumed media of a violent nature ironically correlate with a reduction in a call to arms? Or would it be the same as one consuming non-violent images?

Again, all of this just some correlative observations by the author...but interesting. I'm always intrigued by the fact that the great civilizations of the Americas had writing....and had their own bloody history even before the Euros arrived. But after those civilizations declined, many of the scattered tribes that resulted seemed to shun written language. :-?

As usual, painting with broad and somewhat careless strokes.....
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain...."~ The Wizard of Oz

Idiotic

Post by Idiotic » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:02 am

That's quite an interesting take JD. I never thought about it that way... In everyday conversations violence is attributed to being constantly exposed to such images of blood and gore.
Boy...youre gonna carry that weight, carry that weight, a long time - Golden Slumbers(The Beatles)

JupiterTaco
United States of America

Post by JupiterTaco » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:19 pm

Last edited by JupiterTaco on Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JupiterTaco
United States of America

Post by JupiterTaco » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:39 pm

Spanglish-I already had a post about this movie in another thread, but just wanted to add, I forgot about one of the chefs who works for Mr. Clasky, who seems to have a lot of fun bullying newcomers and a female much-smaller chef, and then gets himself partial ownership of the restaurant after it gets four stars and Mr. Clasky is looking at either making him happy or increasing his own hours. IDK if it's really the other chef's actions on that part that bother me as much as the general way he is.

The Good Son-Young Henry, a CCD on his way to full-blown ASPD is an extreme example of an at-risk kid who sees his siblings as rivals for his mom's attention and almost gets away with murder twice, before turning on his visiting empath cousin and managing to portray himself as innocent to his family until the last second. It's clear that though his mother never had actual proof that Henry killed his infant brother, she had the inkling that something was very wrong, which is something a lot of people close to these types of people end up feeling (though maybe not for such extreme reasons).

Foxfire-The teacher and coach who sexually harasses his students and manages to turn his team into an almost-steroidal band of flying monkeys to "shut" the misfit group of girls up; Maddie's boyfriend who gets uncomfortable with Maddie's changing goals and subtly puts them down rather than giving her space and accepting her; Goldie's rich father who refuses to see how his hostility toward his daughter has contributed to her serious problems; thankfully at least her stepmother is on her side, which would be unusual in real life, let's just put it that way.

Freedom Writers-The department head and longtime junior/senior teacher really show their true colors in the face of new teacher Erin Gruwell's success; the department head going as far as to imply that her students "will" fail without her as an upperclassmen teacher and that having a good relationship with students is not essential to teaching; teacher Brian finally attacks Mrs. Gruwell's pending divorce in a meeting.

Save The Last Dance
-Malakai is the prime example of an ASPD in the making; forcing fellow classmates into prostitution and launching a campaign against newcomer Sara and stopping at nothing attempting to manipulate longtime friend Derek back into the crime life. NPD Nikki is a close second too, with her hatred of Sara as a white girl being her main reason she decides she wants her formerly discarded ex back.

Run, Shelley, Run-Shelley's mom, her mom's boyfriend Cal and many characters she gets involved with on the street and within the system are prime examples of PDs in charge of vulnerable young people, but Shelley as a runaway, always looks like the problem in 70s NYC.

JupiterTaco
United States of America

Post by JupiterTaco » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:32 pm

Johnny Tsunami-Many examples of PDs in this movie, from young NPD Brett and his crew, who are caught up in the power of their families and what it means; the headmaster who puts it straight to young Johnny to fit in better or his bullying will continue. Johnny's dad Pete is an example of an NPD dad who means well but is so scarred by his own failure to learn the love of the water that his son and his dad share, that he works hard to take Johnny from what makes him shine and push him into where he thinks he should shine. Johnny's determination to do what's right eventually manages to heal the rift between two estranged brothers whom are the reason the mountain was "split" between groups in the first place.

An American Crime-Portrays HPD Gertrude Baniszewski in an almost childlike demeanor at times, swinging back and forth between punishing Sylvia and using her as someone to confide in about her inadequacy at controlling her children and raising them right. It's worth noting that one of my big gripes about the movie was how Hollywoodized it was; Gertrude's latest ex was a character in the movie played by a hot actor, although in real life he was out of the picture by this time. It was a bit much the way they showed Gertrude's character glowing in headlights as she walks in a murderous trance toward the car where Ricky Hobbs' character was saving Sylvia (which never even happened). But in a strange way it worked. It showed what could've happened if just one person had stood up and said "this is wrong, I'm going to stop this". It also gave an unusual glimpse into the pain of Sylvia's family.

The Girl Next Door (2007 Novel/Movie)-Inspired by the Sylvia Likens case, it takes place in the 50s and is centered around two sisters who are sent to live with their sadistic aunt Ruth. Ruth is probably a more realistic picture of what Gertrude really was like, but who knows. Nevertheless, Ruth rules her house and neighborhood like a toxic queen bee with all of her silent and obedient flying monkeys.

Honey I Shrunk The Kids-The boss who ridicules Wayne Szalinski's invention is one example, though it becomes clear that neighbor Russ Thompson senior is the biggest example in this movie. From beginning to end, you see Russ fly off into a rage at various things, aggressively pushing and shaming his oldest son Russ Jr. into sports and fishing, which he has no interest in and getting into conflict with various people. To his credit, he's as protective as he is critical, offering to be the first one to be on the other end of Szalinski's machine to save their children.

Honey I Blew Up The Kid-Dr. Hendrickson is the prime example here, taking control of Szalinski's invention from him and aggressively working to cover up Szalinski's mistake for his own good by abducting Szalinski's children, breaking into his house, and trying to bully U.S. Marshalls into shooting tranquilizer darts into baby Adam.

JupiterTaco
United States of America

Post by JupiterTaco » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:37 pm

Angels In The Outfield-Roger's dad gives his son up in court; says "sorry boy," and walks away. Coach George Knox bonds with Roger and JP, two foster care kids who share his understanding of coming from a broken home. George Knox starts to find peace with his life with the two unlikely boys after years of rageaholic behavior toward every team he's managed.

Rookie Of The Year-Jack Bradfield becomes singularly obsessed with milking young Henry's sudden success as a child pitcher after breaking his arm. Jack goes behind the scenes with Larry Fisher, even behind the owners of the Chicago Cubs to sell Henry to the Yankees without his mother's knowledge and permission and heaping constant abuse on longtime pitcher Chet Stedman. To add insult to injury, he tries telling Henry his mother doesn't know who his father is; with her in hearing distance!

Trade-Trafficker Vadim Youchenko is an example of a Dark Triad who deceives women worldwide and lures them to lives of horrific abuse; and goes home to his wife and child. It'd be interesting to know the story on the woman in charge of the New Jersey stashhouse; who appears to have eyes similar to those of the daughter Detective Sheridan lost years ago.

Human Trafficking-Sergei Karpovich has a worldwide network of cops, lawyers, doctors, and anybody else he needs to help him conceal his lucrative business. One chilling scene was when he seemed to know that someone is on the other side of the glass during his interview with ICE officials; smirks and straightens out his jacket and leaves.

The Missing-novel/movie-Narcissistic, superstitious, possibly mentally ill, and otherwise just despicable, "Clubfoot" the "brujo" who sells young women over the border in late 1800s New Mexico. One of his workers is so insecure he puts his dominance on the captives and forces them to do things that are technically his job.

All Over Me-Mark cannot stand the new gay and effeminate local in the neighborhood, verbally harassing him and finally murdering him. Ellen is so focused on him that she can't take care of herself. Claudia (Claude) is so focused on Ellen and her crumbs of attention that it almost keeps her away from what she loves most; music.

Obsessed -Lisa is so obsessed with her temporary boss Derek that she goes around claiming he wants her as much as she wants him, tries to seduce him at the Christmas party, in his car, and basically just won't stop at anything to get him away from his wife and child.

The Crush -14-year old Darien is obsessed with her parents' renter Nick, who lives in the guest house. She kisses him, tries to seduce him, and...well obviously these stories go on and on; eventually in a mental-care center, she writes him a note with hearts in it.

JupiterTaco
United States of America

Post by JupiterTaco » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:05 pm

Disclosure (book/movie)-Possible dark triad Meredith will stop at nothing to dominate her ex and present subordinate, sexually assaulting him and then threatening him when he leaves; and begins a campaign of destruction against him whilst coworkers who had joked about her attractiveness and Tom and Meredith's past look on with a mixture of emotions.

The Frozen Ground-Based on Alaska serial killer Robert Hansen and the experience of his escaped victim, underage trafficking victim Cindy; Robert's unrelenting quest to get her; and the frustration of state troopers (some names changed) as they deal with road blocks from both local authorities and state law to get to Hansen despite increasing evidence piling up against him. What strikes me is the experience of Sargeant Jack Halcombe as he brings Cindy to his house at one point because he has no choice and his wife who loves their child has no idea how to deal with the reality of this fallen-through-the-cracks street girl.

Girlfight-Boxer Adrian's love interest wants him for his skills in the ring but he takes time to admit that he has much more in common with fellow (female) boxer Diana, a rageaholic, troubled teen from an abusive home. Diana fights for what is right, turning her rage at the beginning of the movie, against a girl who had stolen her best friend's crush. The girl goes from saying nothing happened to finally accusing Diana's best friend needing a makeover as the reason she didn't get the guy. By far the biggest PD in the movie is Diana's father Sandro, whom it is implied; caused the death of Diana and her brother's mom. He gaslights, triangulates and shoves gender roles and verbal abuse around liberally. One scene when Diana fights back, pins him on the floor and then says "How does it feel to see so much of yourself? All those years, you looked right through me."

Lucas-Though I mostly focus on the jocks who tormented him, who eventually turned around after Lucas almost kills himself on the football field to impress a girl; and the faceless alcoholic father who neglects him so, it's quite telling how easy it was for Lucas to live a life that wasn't his; pretending to live at a rich house where he worked, having nonexistent stories about his "parents", etc.

Little Giants-Kevin O'Shea is a prominent NPD dad, encouraging sexism and gender discrimination by overlooking his own niece for the town team; prompting his triggered and academic-type brother to start a rival team knowing nothing about football and an ever-growing band of social misfit children who come up with brain hacks to battle physical might on the field.