Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

How to pick a therapist

Open forum ... what's on your mind? Want to vent or lament about your Limerent/Love Object? This is the ideal place.
Havb
Saint-Martin (French part)

How to pick a therapist

Post by Havb » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:54 pm

Having just come off an experience in which I did not take time to ask many questions before deciding on a therapist, I wonder if you all have any questions you ask before you decide ( or do you just go by intuition?) ?

Or maybe you feel there are questions the therapist should ask of you?? I just interviewed one by phone who asked me great questions I wish had been asked of me.

She asked:

1) why are you coming to therapy?
2) what kind of trauma are you talking about processing? I want to make sure it’s my specialty (I loved that she said this) so you can get the best care

I will start with a question I wish I had asked:

1) what experience do you have with childhood trauma, and how do you work with it?
“Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” -Samuel Beckett

There is always more work to be done.

mamasita

Re: How to pick a therapist

Post by mamasita » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:57 pm

Hi Havb!

I would ask about their technique. How long they have been a therapist. What they specialize in.
For instance I had a therapist for about 6 months who seemed to just want to hear me vent. She would nod her head and the only feedback given was just words of empathy or assumptions about how I was feeling. While I think some may need that, I was looking to fix my damaging thought patterns and improve my relationships/depression/anxiety. I needed more than empathy. I needed feedback.
One should know within 2 or 3 visits if they are feeling like they are being helped significantly. If you aren't or aren't sure if you are, then move on.

David
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by David » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:34 am

"Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate." - C.G. Jung

For Professional Coaching / Therapy see http://loverelations.co.uk/limerence

Male 58

Havb
Saint-Martin (French part)

Post by Havb » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:22 am

Wow, Alice Walker’s thoughts: amazing and thorough
I will read the other as well.
Thanks.
“Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” -Samuel Beckett

There is always more work to be done.