Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Diagnosis. Bipolar

Open forum ... what's on your mind? Want to vent or lament about your Limerent/Love Object? This is the ideal place.
marko
United States of America

Diagnosis. Bipolar

Post by marko » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:13 pm

That was very hard today. I had to grab a tissue and went straight emotional. Every hot button my emotions let go. Do you feel you've let everyone down and you're worthless :(( :(( . Told just about everything and the LE episode is what caused me to say enough is enough. She thought my description of the length and strength of the LE high in combo with the depression was enough to declare Bipolar 1. I just read about rapid BP so I'm thinking more there, but she said treatment is about the same. She thought lithium too hard on my kidneys so I'm giving Lamotrigine a go. Said it will level me and stop the swings. I will internet investigate and proceed if I agree.

She also signed me up for a therapist to unravel the rest of the junk. She listened and seemed more interested in my chemicals in the body VS what limerence was. Sleep patterns length and depth of depression. She had to pause and wonder how I'm in such a bad marriage. I revisited ADHD and she said those who suffer are more flat line, but now I have questions on my swirling brain ideas, and she put a lot of weight on the high that the LE produced. That fits BP, but just one? She said yes. No questions about if I'm limerent and did touch on my past spending, and current exercise addiction. Didn't seem to matter to her much, so perhaps this will be addressed in therapy.

I told her taking pills and altering me is very hard and scary, I'm pretty used to me, but true, I need to move ahead. Head and heart heavy, guess I got what I thought, now I get one more thing to feel lousy about.

JohnDeux

Re: Diagnosis. Bipolar

Post by JohnDeux » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:49 pm

marko wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:13 pm
She had to pause and wonder how I'm in such a bad marriage.
Hi marko....good to hear you went through this and spilled out as much as you could, that sounds like a good start. Also good to hear that you have a therapist lined up and also, at the risk of offending, that it sounds like the therapist will be a person different from this person you saw today. She must have been a clinical psychiatrist or someone legally permitted to prescribe medication? I'm just a bit surprised that someone from "the profession" would offer the comment that I clipped and pasted above. Seems pretty common that people stay together for myriad not-so-healthy reasons. But the medication recommendations may be completely warranted; moreover, as this outpouring to someone *in person* is fresh, it will be interesting to see what affect that has in the coming days along with the schedule to start seeing a T. Just seems to be more relieving often when this is able to be done. Good luck and hoping for more relief and progress for you in the coming weeks and months, marko.
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain...."~ The Wizard of Oz

marko
United States of America

Post by marko » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:13 pm

Psych first, T is someone different. Been reading the lows of this drug and it's causing anxiety. Perhaps denial, but I still also want to believe I caused my depression and that the one high episode was LE chemicals and not full on BP. I suppose a second opinion? Anyone else have an opinion it's quite welcome.

townshend
United States of America

Post by townshend » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:43 pm

First of all, good on you for going through with this as it's definitely a difficult step (but the right one). As for the diagnosis and all that, I'd be cautious too. Especially if this person was not interested in limerence or finding out what it is, because this...condition what ever it is can make all of us here experience those high and lows and many things in between, but all these forum topics and polls and everything and none of us can exactly pin point that it's directly because we all have _____ (OCD, bipolar, ADDHD,etc, etc, whatever). So just because you experience those highs and lows of LE, I wouldn't say means you definitely have exactly what this person says you do because the signs are similar...but it also doesn't mean that you dont have it - so a second opinion and one from a more in depth session with the T would be best especially where medication is involved, in my opinion.
No good has ever come from feeling guilty neither intelligence, policy, nor compassion. The guilty do not pay attention to the object but only to themselves and not even to their own interests, which might make sense, but to their anxieties. -Paul Goodman

marko
United States of America

Post by marko » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:47 pm

Thanks, the more I read the more I don't want to take this med. Getting off looks like a nightmare. The side effects seem worse than how I feel now. Dizzy, throwing up, depression and a rash that can kill you. I'm waiting for a 2nd, fuck it.

townshend
United States of America

Post by townshend » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:02 am

yeah, may still be needed but definitely consult with T to see where limerence ends and any other condition begins, there may be some important details this first person missed/conflated/couldn't know. and you gotta love side effect warnings, my favorite are the depression medications that "may cause suicidal thoughts or worsening of depression", because who wouldn't love to take that chance 8-|
No good has ever come from feeling guilty neither intelligence, policy, nor compassion. The guilty do not pay attention to the object but only to themselves and not even to their own interests, which might make sense, but to their anxieties. -Paul Goodman

marko
United States of America

Post by marko » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:39 am

My concern is I only had the one episode of mania during the first week or so of LE.

AMA210
United States of America

Post by AMA210 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:20 am

IMO, Comparing bipolar to Limerence is not right. Very different highs and lows. I would like David's opinion on this. Most therapists/psych folks have not heard of Limerence and so because one is not familiar with an affliction, that doesn't mean that it should be discounted and replaced with another.

I would suggest printing out the info from the main page explaining the behaviors associated with it. Take it with you. I did that with my therapist and also emailed it to the principal to read and pass on. She said it didn't matter and for some reason, never wanted to hear my side of the story. That is bullshit right there.

My first therapist said I had ADHD, which I seriously doubt. This enlightened lady also told me that I would just have to accept being obsessed with LO for the next 2 years. Really?

Nothing wrong with getting another opinion. Good luck!! :ymhug:
53 years old, married for 27 years
LE was 22 months and LO works four blocks from my home

"Always moving forward"

David
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by David » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:33 am

Ill chip in here on the caveat that I once did practice for a while many many years ago as a shrink and that making internet based diagnosis is risky business. That said i do know what enduring limerence is like and I can see how a psychiatrist may diagnose us as being BP due the massive mood swings we experience.

My experience of most shrinks is they have done little to no personal therapy so have low self awareness and are quick to label /pathologize and then treat with medication. There are relatively few that are dual qualified psychiatrists / psychotherapists that can see other perspectives. Most shrinks i've met follow that career path to try and sort out their own baggage, with little success because they stay in their heads and dont do the deep grief work that is necessary.

I work with many clients that are going through a spiritual crisis, often catalysed by limerence. I can see how traditional medical thinking would label someone going through such an experience as psychotic (and BP falls into the psychosis as opposed the the neurotic classification). My own belief is is we are too quick to label people whose experience we find hard to relate to as psychotic. RD Laing wrote some groundbreaking work on this.

For me, spiritual emergence and spiritual crisis are far more appropriate terms that work for me.

On a final point, had i disclosed some of my own experiences when under extreme stress with my own 2 episodes of spiritual emergences, i would have been for sure labeled psychotic and likely sectioned. Ironically one of these episodes was whilst working as a psychiatrist, catalysed by SO leaving me. I had the good sense to be careful in who I told and for sure the last people I was going to mention my experiences to were my medical colleagues.

Finding a good therapist that has experienced their own spiritual crisis/emergence may be your best bet. Again, these are just my opinions, my beliefs and my experiences. We each have to find our own way through this maze.

And i just came across this paper written by a shrink on spiritual emergencies 'Psychosis or Spiritual Emergence? - Consideration of the Transpersonal Perspective within Psychiatry' . Ill have a read and add a foot note when done
Nicki Crowley Psychosis or Spiritual Emergence.pdf
Yep, well worth a read IMJ

to substantiate my own views above:

Brant Cortright highlights the qualities required of the therapist: In spiritual emergency, the personal presence of the therapist is key. Although some people are able to sail these waters successfully by themselves, for many people the presence of one or more wise compassionate guides on this journey can be of enormous help.

Of importance therefore is the need to have a therapist or guide who
knows the transpersonal territory, an aspect of the psyche that psychiatrists
are not formally educated about.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate." - C.G. Jung

For Professional Coaching / Therapy see http://loverelations.co.uk/limerence

Male 58

EXlfjb
United States of America

Post by EXlfjb » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:14 am

Sorry to read you had a rough day Marko.

Sending good thoughts.