BECOME A MEMBER AND EMBRACE EXCLUSIVE ACCESS
Unlock exclusive features and connect with like-minded individuals by upgrading to our premium membership.
As a member, you'll gain access to our members-only forums, where you can:
Engage in meaningful discussions: Read, create, and search all threads and posts, fostering a vibrant community of like-minded individuals.
Establish deeper connections: Utilize our private messaging system to connect with other members on a personal level, fostering meaningful relationships.
Enjoy these benefits and more for just $2.99 per month, payable securely via PayPal.
Membership is flexible, allowing you to cancel anytime without any hassle.
Sign up today and embark on a journey of personal growth and connection. Join our community of passionate individuals and unlock a world of possibilities.

Click https://limerence.net/membership-accoun ... p-checkout

What an emotional mess limerence is

A place for those new to this site. The more experienced users of this site tend to frequent the members only section more.
acyice100

What an emotional mess limerence is

Post by acyice100 »

Just wanted to have a ramble, I hope nobody minds. Please do feel free to share any perspective/insights, I love to read responses.

I'm limerent for a best friend (realistically not a suitable match romantically but wonderful to have as a best friend). I have a long term partner (who is an amazing person and great match for me), a couple of other best friends, a successful career, safe place to live and many acquaintances to call upon, but somehow still I feel a deep loneliness at times when me & LO are not super intertwined. It's near-impossible for me to cut her off, as she's a best friend who I care about deeply and she cares for me. In fact she's alluded to feeling empty around friends that are not me, which doesn't help the situation. In fact, I think she has romantic feelings too, but regardless I know that we wouldn't be a good match for several reasons, but especially since I feel so strongly towards her and I don't want to be an obsessive partner, which is no doubt what would happen. At this distance I'm pretty good at keeping my cool and not giving away any signs that I see her as more than a friend. I think I'm very good at reading people and also good at keeping my cards to myself.

The ups & downs of limerence is crazy! When we hang out it's euphoric. I've had tough times with family & life in general, and all of that melts away when we're together. It's bliss, we laugh, have fun, are open, affectionate, often say the same things at the same times, it's actually bizarre how often that happens. When we're texting throughout the day, I get excited when her name pops up. When it's another best friend, I almost feel disappointed - then I feel like a bad person for feeling that way :| When LO has a random mood swing or does something insensitive it knocks me for 6 - I feel unreasonably hurt and withdraw. I say unreasonable because I know it wouldn't be the same level of hurt as with another friend. I then think about how much easier it would be to just cut her out completely. Then she (unknowingly) love bombs me with barrages of messages and I'm sucked back in to that high. I laugh at the absurdity of it sometimes and how ridiculous the whole situation is, but also laugh at how much I enjoy it. When she shows love for me, it's very heartfelt and we've had very tender moments that felt like scenes from a movie. I replay these often. Sometimes I wake in the night kissing my partner's shoulder imagining it's her until I wake up properly and realise. Then give my partner a big cuddle because I feel like a terrible person for thinking that. I often find myself wishing I was hanging out with LO when I hang out with my other best friends (who I've known for much longer), then feel like a horrible person again for thinking that and for questioning my level of platonic love for them too.

I started to feel limerence towards another new friend recently - someone who I'm not particularly close to and don't really know. They remind me of LO. I check often to see if they're viewing my snapchat story and get a buzz if they are. I read into signs that they might potentially like me back, small interactions in pictures & videos. I know it's ridiculous and laugh at myself, but enjoy the thrill all the same. This LO feels less risk to me and just like a bit of fun, as we're not close and our interactions are limited. My best friend LO is a lot more dangerous as I'm very vulnerable to them, we talk daily and have 1 on 1 hang outs.

The high is fun but the lows are terrible. I feel like there's a deep loneliness/sadness inside of me that LO fills, and when we're not interacting much the feeling is very prominent. I'd like to find a therapist who can help, because more than anything I just want to be friends with this person. Cutting them out is a last resort. Limerence really is a like a hard drug huh.
JupiterTaco
United States of America

Re: What an emotional mess limerence is

Post by JupiterTaco »

That probably tells you what you need to know about the situation. Some people are meant to be partners and others are meant to be teachers. Sometimes they get confused. Come back and read the points of your post when you feel yourself slipping. It'll remind you of the reality that you apparently know about now.
She's not broken, she's just a baby. But her boyfriend's like a dad just like a dad-Lady Gaga, Alejandro
L-F
United States of America

Re: What an emotional mess limerence is

Post by L-F »

Ditto what JT said.
Strangely, limerents know better yet don't feel it. As David keeps saying "Limerence is the mother of all distraction". This equates to something unconscious rising within us (wanting to escape, into our awareness, so to speak) and limerence conveniently keeps us distracted. The question is, from what? That's where the 'work' is. Finding the answer to why we are distracting ourselves. But that's looking at limerence from a psychoanalytical perspective.

I checked out Reddit and I quite like the feature of highlighting whether the OP wants to vent/ask a question, etc. Sometimes it's nice to get things off our chest, so perhaps use this time (and forum) to do just that. I've always found writing things out brings some clarity, especially after taking a step back to look at the bigger picture.

No real input from me, you clearly know all there is to know, and I'd take a stab at even knowing deep down the crux of the issue. Sometimes the hardest part of 'knowing' and cementing that knowledge, is being honest with ourselves. The 'work' takes a lot of radical honesty. That's why it's so difficult to complete.
"And in the end, we were all just humans…Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness." ~ F. Scott Fitzgerald