Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

20th wedding anniversary

How to improve a long term relationship and keep it alive, healthy and growing. Just like tending a garden.
NVTS
Fiji

20th wedding anniversary

Post by NVTS » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:01 am

SO we made it! My idea of chronicling the 20 years of marriage 1 year at a time and giving them to DW worked out well. She was inspired to do a timeline of her own and gave it to me. It's funny how we remember the events and their sequence differently. We talked and reminisced and had a great time.

I asked her how she envisioned the next 20 years and beyond. It led to a honest conversation about the empty nest that we will have in the next few years.I told her how I wanted to work in some capacity for as long as I can and that I want to travel more frequently. I suggested to her that we try to find some common hobbies and she agreed to try playing golf. She is going through a mid-life crisis of sorts. She never had the opportunity to set goals and work towards them, we then got married and a few years later she was in the role of mother which has been very stressful for her. She has severe anxiety and I don't think she could have handled a full time job and being MOM.

Since the kids rely on us less as they get older, I think DW may have a hard time adjusting to it. Made it clear to her that I am planning on living as fully as I can and that I would love to do things together and grow as humans and a couple, but I can't do it for her. I explained that I will be ever supportive of any endeavor she wishes to embark on. I just hope that she finds something more interesting than watching silly youtube videos all day.
M-47-married
LO- married 47,work colleagues

FreeBird

Re: 20th wedding anniversary

Post by FreeBird » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:05 pm

What a great post, Windy! Congratulations! :ymparty:

Wishing you both the best!

Pudding
Canada

Post by Pudding » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:21 pm

It sounds like you had a great moment of connection and growth there. Congratulations!
F 38
LO is M 35, my son’s former teacher
NC for nine weeks

mamasita

Post by mamasita » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:29 pm

I'm happy for you Windy! It can be scary to embark on this new role as wife and person with independent hobbies when you have been MOM for so long. Congrats! :-bd

marko
United States of America

Post by marko » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:52 pm

Very nice, my 25th is today. I envision 20 horrible years so good for you.

Havb
Saint-Martin (French part)

Post by Havb » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:57 am

Congratulatiions Windy! Wishing you many more!

Curiously, upon reading your post I was reminded that my own LE started close to our 15th anniversary. Suddenly it struck me that this milestone might have been a trigger for it. A marriage wit h some miles on it does evolve and present ever changing dynamics, guess I found myself at a crossroads of sorts.

Will take your example and talk with hubby as you and your wife did, planning for the future as well as reflecting on the past. THanks Windy, for the inspiration, and congrats again!
“Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” -Samuel Beckett

There is always more work to be done.

NVTS
Fiji

Post by NVTS » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:29 am

Thanks for the well wishes from all of you!!
DW tells others about the “chronicles” and I get the angry look from guys and jealous laughing from women. :-?
M-47-married
LO- married 47,work colleagues