Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

link between limerence and narcissism?

For some, limerence isn't about suffering. For others, they do not see limerence as akin to an addiction. Others do not see limerence as originating in childhood from poor parenting and dysfunctional attachments.

Here is a place to share different beliefs as well as share your own POV.
daydreamer

link between limerence and narcissism?

Post by daydreamer » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:45 pm

i googled for limerence and found this. IMHO, this is interesting. i suspected there is a link between limerence and narcissism. and I certainly believe there is an overlap of limerence and love.

JohnDeux

Re: link between limerence and narcissism?

Post by JohnDeux » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:58 am

Yes,....under the "Common Themes" section of the forum there is a category on Narcissists and Narcissism and it seems to be at play most when we feel 'entitled' to our LO's attentions. Just as a personal view from the current vantage point out of the last LE, I'm wondering how much the LE was about letting a narcissistic side blow-up to full proportion so that the soul/psyche underneath could finally heal. In my own case, narcissistic entitlement was learned from both parents and I was destined to have a pretty large helping myself. So maybe part of the LE is bringing it to the surface...out in the open....where we can better view it...? This would dovetail with, and be somewhat analogous to, the notion that LOs are mirrors for us that reflect back 'shadow sides' of our own personalities.....parts of us that we don't normally know exist and can't see until an LO helps us to see that through our interactions with them. Often during the LE these things aren't so apparent. But in the aftermath as we are putting ourselves back together, there often are realizations of things that needed fixing and were not being fixed. In my own case, the combination of narcissism and co-dependency were just two of many items on the checklist needing attention.
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain...."~ The Wizard of Oz

daydreamer

Re: link between limerence and narcissism?

Post by daydreamer » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:38 pm

very good points, thanks. i'll spend more time exploring that subforum. there is no question i was brought up in a narcissistic way and I was a bit narcissistic when a child and a young adult. i didn't know that at the time, but realized it now. I thought i overcame that when i started family and professional career, but i'm probably deluding myself.
fortunately, as my LE is pretty much over, i'm getting "narcissistic" (or dopamine) hits from my SO, friends, and job. way more healthy!