Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Limerence, narcissistic abuse as a spiritual attack?

For some, limerence isn't about suffering. For others, they do not see limerence as akin to an addiction. Others do not see limerence as originating in childhood from poor parenting and dysfunctional attachments.

Here is a place to share different beliefs as well as share your own POV.
JupiterTaco
United States of America

Limerence, narcissistic abuse as a spiritual attack?

Post by JupiterTaco »

A thread I remembered from OOTF had me wondering, what if it's true? It's so strange how limerence, trauma bonds, pretty much any addiction all seem to have such a supernatural strength and energy to them. Not to mention how PD individuals can seem possessed at times. I know these things can be explained by science but what if there really are malevolent forces out there looking to tear families, happiness, genuine success, apart or keep it from happening in the first place? And that they follow science to hide themselves?
"My poor baby, he's so confused. He doesn't realize she's a whore!"-Lorna Morello, Orange Is The New Black

MrSpock
Argentina

Re: Limerence, narcissistic abuse as a spiritual attack?

Post by MrSpock »

JupiterTaco wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:44 am
A thread I remembered from OOTF had me wondering, what if it's true? It's so strange how limerence, trauma bonds, pretty much any addiction all seem to have such a supernatural strength and energy to them. Not to mention how PD individuals can seem possessed at times. I know these things can be explained by science but what if there really are malevolent forces out there looking to tear families, happiness, genuine success, apart or keep it from happening in the first place? And that they follow science to hide themselves?
Hi JT,

I think we talked about this before. I happened to have been raised within a "spiritualist religion", which is somewhat concerned with this sort of thing, so I can tell you what this religion thinks of it (and then what *I* myself think).

According to the belief system of said religion...

As we are "souls" temporarily inhabiting a human body, we survive after death in "ethereal form". But then, what do we do once we are on the other side? Kind of like in the movie "Ghost", many of us would lurk around "the living" for a while before moving on to whatever is next.

For the sake of this post, let's speak of "them" to refer to the people that had past away, as opposed to "us" still here. If it is the case that they do lurk around, what for and what do they do meanwhile?

There is like the official story which basically states that they stay around very precisely to, as you said, "tear us apart". Kind of like they hate everything about being here and dislike the whole "system" (of taking on a human body to do God knows what [in their view]).

Now, in this particular religion, unlike most others alike, it is stated that the ONLY thing they can do is mess up with your mind. Is not like "Past Away Souls" (or "discarnate" as we call them) can go around shutting doors or moving tables, or making noises for that matter. But, they CAN flood your mind with thoughts.

Therefore, following the official story, we humans are in fact, subtlety influenced by them through our minds, and extremes like Limerence or any other addiction is the poster child of such effects.

Having said all that, I have my own personal view that is a bit different.

First of all, it is "technically" correct to say that they can flood your mind with thoughts, but the actual form in which that is experienced is proportional to the degree of "six sense" that one possesses. That is, if you are, on the one extreme, a full-range "medium" (or physic), well, better don't become limerent or you'll be in a real nightmare. But "normal" people are not as directly connected to those external sources of thought, which can be a bad thing if, say, you just lost someone and would have liked to keep communicating with, but is otherwise a sort of blessing shield so we don't go totally nuts.
So, even in a full blown limerence, those of us that are "normal" in terms of "mediumship", would be influenced but rather subtlety (but since in reality "mediumship" is a spectrum, rather than a yes/no ability, your millage might vary).

In any case, however, our own thoughts ARE unequivocally distinguishable from those that might come externally (from "them"), kind of like my own voice if I speak aloud is clearly distinguished from that of others. Which means that the intrusive thinking patterns that we experience in limerence (and any other obsessions and compulsions) are driven by our own psychology and we ourselves are the main source of them.

There is still an external influence, yes, but is more subtle that one would think by "looking" into the intrusive thinking we experience.

In conclusion, my own view is that, while technically such an influence is real, and they do influence "along" the intrusive thinking (which is not the same as saying that they are the source of it), it is nonetheless a minor factor, so minor that is not worth too much consideration. At most, you can just "argue back" with the intrusive thinking as a way to stay clear of their influence.

As for their intentions....

The official story (from this Religion) is that they want to "tear us (all humans) apart". I very specifically don't believe that is true.
I think that, in the case of limerence (or other addictions), they are just "past-away limerents/addicts" and are just looking for a hit the same way we do. Thus, they stick around and push us to get a hit so they can also experience it (how could they do that is for another thread).