BECOME A MEMBER AND EMBRACE EXCLUSIVE ACCESS
Unlock exclusive features and connect with like-minded individuals by upgrading to our premium membership.
As a member, you'll gain access to our members-only forums, where you can:
Engage in meaningful discussions: Read, create, and search all threads and posts, fostering a vibrant community of like-minded individuals.
Establish deeper connections: Utilize our private messaging system to connect with other members on a personal level, fostering meaningful relationships.
Enjoy these benefits and more for just $2.99 per month, payable securely via PayPal.
Membership is flexible, allowing you to cancel anytime without any hassle.
Sign up today and embark on a journey of personal growth and connection. Join our community of passionate individuals and unlock a world of possibilities.

Click https://limerence.net/membership-accoun ... p-checkout

Why do we put up with this?

A place for those new to this site. The more experienced users of this site tend to frequent the members only section more.
Tonton

Why do we put up with this?

Post by Tonton »

Why is everyone telling us to put up with SOs and make it work with them when the truth is our limerence is a huge sign that our marriage/relationship isn't working in the first place.

We should really be trying to take our chance and make it work with LO. Life is too short not to try. Even suppose if it doesnt work with LO atleast we'll be out of a cr@ppy relationship.

Sorry for sounding so ranty but had a huge fight with SO who is constantly hurting me and yet I put up with her. Don't know why!
JMS164
United States of America

Re: Why do we put up with this?

Post by JMS164 »

I don't think there is a one-size-fits-all answer when it comes to limerence when one is already in a relationship. Sometimes it's a sign your relationship is over or should be over. More often, it's a poor emotional cope that functions as an avoidance mechanism for hard emotions (like conflicts with SO). LO may even be a better match for you, but no long-term relationship is all roses and butterflies.

I would ask yourself on your best days with SO if you're desire is to be with someone else. Never make decisions in the heat of a fight. If leaving SO is the answer, you'll know it when you're calm.
"Love is a human religion in which another person is believed in." — Robert Seidenberg
ireneadler

Post by ireneadler »

SO and I did try to divorce. That was the tipping point. We quit drinking around each other or the kids and reset expectations to zero. We are still together, the fights plummeted by 95%, but the marriage is platonic. We did start enjoying each other’s company again.

Knowing I had a crush on LO would probably make SO mad, but it wouldn’t cause a divorce.

There are reasons to stay and reasons to leave. Only you know your particular situation. Mine is to stay.

Since meeting LO, it seems like my relationship with SO has gotten better. Like it has taken the pressure off or something. I don’t expect SO to meet those needs anymore. I have told him many, many times what those needs are, but he can’t or won’t reciprocate.
40 something, married with kids
LO is a married with kids co-worker
peter.rabbit
United States of America

Post by peter.rabbit »

Tonton wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:37 pm Why is everyone telling us to put up with SOs and make it work with them when the truth is our limerence is a huge sign that our marriage/relationship isn't working in the first place.

We should really be trying to take our chance and make it work with LO. Life is too short not to try. Even suppose if it doesnt work with LO atleast we'll be out of a cr@ppy relationship.

Sorry for sounding so ranty but had a huge fight with SO who is constantly hurting me and yet I put up with her. Don't know why!
Years ago I left a marriage and eventually married an LO. Big disaster, but the whole experience was the impetus for [my] personal growth, and search for healing. Still searching.
Weak people revenge.
Strong people forgive.
Intelligent people ignore.
-Albert Einstein
Acrobatica
France

Post by Acrobatica »

Tonton wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:37 pm Why is everyone telling us to put up with SOs and make it work with them when the truth is our limerence is a huge sign that our marriage/relationship isn't working in the first place.
I agree. It likely is a sign that your relationship is not working in the first place. But it is also very likely that a relationship with LO is not going to solve the underlying issues that led to limerence.

My advice, as someone who is now divorced in part due to my last LE, is to really commit to trying to make the marriage work. Go to therapy. Individual therapy. Couples therapy. Or both. Be fully honest with your spouse about your feelings. Give it some effort and time. For me, this made me understand that the marriage truly was a broken place and I could not stay. And perhaps that is where you will come out too. But taking the time to try to fix things first means you will understand better what is broken and have fewer regrets later. That is likely worthy it for your future self.
PhoenixJB
United States of America

Post by PhoenixJB »

In my opinion... limerence was the 'straw that broke the camel's back'
it showed me that I do NOT feel towards SO as I should.
Despite months of working on our relationship, and even coming to a point where I'd have said our relationship is stronger than ever.... things are back to how they were before all that and I believe limerence showed me what I am missing in my relationship with SO. SO and I are now separated and I do believe that divorce will be the ultimate resolution. Even if things don't 'work out' with my LO.... I dont' think I can go back to SO???