We by Robert A Johnson.

Book recommendations and book reviews. Please add reviews of any books you found helpful during your limerence recovery.
David
Site Admin

We by Robert A Johnson.

Post by David » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:48 am

Half way through We by Robert A Johnson.

The introductory paragraph caught me:

Romantic love is the single greatest energy system in the Western psyche. In our culture it has supplanted religion as the arena in which men and woman seek meaning, transcendent, wholeness and ecstasy.

As a mass phenomenon, romantic love is peculiar to the West. We are so accustomed to living with the beliefs and assumptions of romantic love that we think it is the only form of "love" on which marriage or love relationships can be based. We think it is the only "true love".

But there is much that we can learn from the East about this. In Eastern cultures we find that that married couples love each other with a stability and devotion that puts us to shame.But their "love" is not a romantic love as we know it. They don't impose the same ideals on their relationships, nor do they impose such impossible demands and expectations on each other as we do.

That paragraph says it all for me.

The book would have made little sense to me whilst in the grips of limerence. Since that time, ive become a convert to Jung's work and this book resonates with me.

The author writes much about the transformative and transcendent power of romantic love.

I think i may try his other books on the shadow and the male and female psyche.
"Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate." - C.G. Jung

For confidential Coaching see http://loverelations.co.uk/limerence/

Male 57

JohnDeux

Re: We by Robert A Johnson.

Post by JohnDeux » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:28 am

David wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:48 am
Half way through We by Robert A Johnson.

The introductory paragraph caught me:

Romantic love is the single greatest energy system in the Western psyche. In our culture it has supplanted religion as the arena in which men and woman seek meaning, transcendent, wholeness and ecstasy.
I agree with this proposal. It fits so well with the expansionist drive of colonialism. The frustration at never finding the 'magical other' is such a potent driving force for the endless search in other quarters.

"Man·i·fest Des·ti·ny
noun
the 19th-century doctrine or belief that the (Euro) expansion of the US throughout the American continents was both justified and inevitable."