Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

How men can find a therapist that understands male psychology

Talk therapy can help but at times less cognitive treatments are required. Anything related to ANY form of therapy goes here.
David
Site Admin
Great Britain

How men can find a therapist that understands male psychology

Post by David » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:22 pm

My therapy training was totally inadequate from a male perspective. It was pretty gynocentric. Most of our trainers were females and on the course of 50, 40 were women.

There was not one single lecture on the gender differences between how men and women process emotions. Nothing on the biopsychosocial differences between the genders. Nothing about how men having 15 times the amount of testosterone alters the way they deal with stuff

Here is an interesting talk that at 31min on how a man can choose a therapist that understands male psychology.

"Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate." - C.G. Jung

For Professional Coaching / Therapy see http://loverelations.co.uk/limerence

Male 58

Ivanhoe

Re: How men can find a therapist that understands male psychology

Post by Ivanhoe » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:02 pm

David have you got this right. With my wounds from my narcissistic mother and unhelpful father, I needed someone who understood boys/men. That has taken a long time to find.
65 (feel 50); Male

"Grief makes children of us all. Any intellectual difference is destroyed. The wisest know nothing."
- Emerson

David
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by David » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:11 pm

Ivanhoe wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:02 pm
David have you got this right. With my wounds from my narcissistic mother and unhelpful father, I needed someone who understood boys/men. That has taken a long time to find.
I was talking to SO about the challenge of how she things of a woman wanting a beta man to help her with running the house and an alpha man to take control in the bedroom and fuck her senseless (her words, not mine). And men want a mummy to look after them in the family home and a whore in the bedroom. And the challenge becomes women not wanting to have sex with their sons and men not wanting to have sex with their mothers. No wonder relationships are so challenging.

Im really appreciating some books and your tube videos by Tom Golden on this subject - about how men grieve differently.

Essential reading for all mother's of boys is this one: Helping Mothers be Closer to Their Sons: Understanding the unique world of boys by Tom Golden

"Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate." - C.G. Jung

Male 58

Havb

Post by Havb » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:28 pm

David wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:11 pm
wanting a beta man to help her with running the house and an alpha man to take control in the bedroom and fuck her senseless (her words, not mine). And men want a mummy to look after them in the family home and a whore in the bedroom. And the challenge becomes women not wanting to have sex with their sons and men not wanting to have sex with their mothers.
@David: :)) good point from your wife and from you as well.
I definitely wanted LO to fuck me hard in the beginning of LE.

However do we even keep marriages going, with such a rub (no pun intended)??

Incidentally, I can’t stand that word “gynocentric” that I’ve seen you use multiple times. Did you make it up or is that really the opposite of “androcentric”? Wish there were another term, just for my sensitive little ears :D
“Gyno” always reminds me of a Pap Smear; not really a nice association.
“Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” -Samuel Beckett

David
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by David » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:45 pm

nope, i didnt make it up

from wikipedia

Gynocentrism refers to a dominant or exclusive focus on women in theory or practice; or to the advocacy of this.[1] Anything can be considered gynocentric when it is concerned exclusively with a female (or feminist) point of view.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gynocentrism

I have to own my own triggering and projection around this issue and my disdain for the latest radical third wave of feminism which I see as a victim ideology. Im all for equality and can still be triggered by people that play the victim. And I played the victim for too long myself. Just anothe rpart of my shadow.

My mother was heavily into women's lib back in the 60's when I was raised and projected her hatred for the masculine onto me and married an uber beta man which likely fueled her rage. I never did discover what happened to her growing up for her to be se angry with life in general - i suspect she was badly abused as a child.

Male 58

Havb

Post by Havb » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:50 pm

^^Thanks.
“Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” -Samuel Beckett