Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Self-help books fail to teach us self-love

Talk therapy can help but at times less cognitive treatments are required. Anything related to ANY form of therapy goes here.
L-F
United States of America

Self-help books fail to teach us self-love

Post by L-F » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:03 am

Worth a read... a short article by Robbie Ahmed who got tired of his own shit. I've taken a snippet from it.

... I started my self-healing journey a couple of years ago, after a physically violent relationship taught me that, if I did not learn to deal with my past, it was going to seep into my present and follow me wherever I went. I was one of the people Elizabeth Gilbert describes “who got tired of their own shit and decided to transform.”

1. Accept where you are at.
All my life, I’ve been told that I had to reach a point of healing and self-love - that “a-ha” moment when I will be perfectly whole.

2. Forget the “meditation” fads – be here now.

3. Don’t fear the dark emotions.
Western media portrays happiness as the ultimate goal.

4. Redefine Love.

Loves heals all; isn’t that what the song lyrics say? However, in her book “All About Love,” bell hooks argues that the western culture fails to give a concrete definition of love, often putting an emphasis on romantic love or that “perfect” family that we missed out on our childhood as the only redemptive and healing types of love. 

5. Read stories about people who are like you.
I learned to love myself when I saw other people loved themselves and embraced the very same flaws I rejected in myself. 

6. Realize that perfect people do not exist.

For the full article...
https://restforresistance.com/zine/what ... nd-healing
A first date question: "how aware are you of your traumas and suppressed emotions, and tell me how you are actively working to heal them before you project that shit on me?"

Maddie

Re: Self-help books fail to teach us self-love

Post by Maddie » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:54 pm

Good stuff, LF! Thanks for sharing.
39, F
LO, 50 , M
Mental health is an ongoing commitment to reality at all costs-- (M Scott Peck)

kuhataparunks

Post by kuhataparunks » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:03 am

As the literature has stated, Limerence is a compounding mix of various conditions and is therefore difficult to treat. For that reason, it is misrepresented and misunderstood.

David
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by David » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:48 am

kuhataparunks wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:03 am
As the literature has stated, Limerence is a compounding mix of various conditions and is therefore difficult to treat. For that reason, it is misrepresented and misunderstood.
Addiction, OCD, attachment disorder, complex PTSD, codependency are a few things that pop to mind. My own therapist wasn't big on labels and far more interested in working with my symptoms and getting to their origins.
"Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate." - C.G. Jung

For Professional Coaching / Therapy see http://loverelations.co.uk/limerence

Male 58

Radey
Great Britain

Post by Radey » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:49 pm

I agree with you.