Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Remedy for Obsessive Thoughts LO

Talk therapy can help but at times less cognitive treatments are required. Anything related to ANY form of therapy goes here.
AMA210
United States of America

Remedy for Obsessive Thoughts LO

Post by AMA210 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:02 pm

According to my therapist, i am to do this every time the thought of driving by the school enters my mind.

Write down what you are feeling.
Assign a niumber to strength (1 being low, 5 being high)
Deep breathing
Body scan -- breathing, tense muscles, anxiety)
Assign a number
Deep breathing
Repeat above until the thought is gone
Don't tell yourself you can't drive by because your mind will interpret that as drive by

Can someone tell me the purpose of this? Thanks.
53 years old, married for 27 years
LE was 22 months and LO works four blocks from my home

"Always moving forward"

mamasita

Re: Remedy for Obsessive Thoughts LO

Post by mamasita » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:18 pm

Interesting! I'm not a professional, but a few things that I can see from this:

The 7 steps are meant to help you see that your urge is related to your need. Notice your emotions, your body feelings, highs, lows, urges, whatever. Brings you "down" to really pay attention and recognize. Since you know logically that the LE is about you, then you can get used to looking at YOU when the urge arises. I could use this in my same problem/solution when resisting the urge to follow/watch my LO on Snapchat.

The last step is likely so that you don't stay in the cycle..."I 'can't' which makes me want it more." Being in that dance increases the LE for that time period, for sure. You are so focused on "I can't" and "I won't" that eventually the pressure builds and builds, and then you do just want you were trying to stop doing. Keep it about you.

WonkyBrainThe2nd

Re: Remedy for Obsessive Thoughts LO

Post by WonkyBrainThe2nd » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:40 pm

Yeah, I'd agree with Mamasita. That sounds like a good technique to me. Could be applied to any craving/compulsive urge. If you actually sit with the feeling of craving, see where you can feel it in your body, concentrate on breathing etc, the craving transforms into something else. If you fight it and do the "I want to/I shouldn't/I want to" back and forth, you're more likely to act impulsively and do it, because you're fighting the urge. It's like that "What you resist persists" saying.