Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

New Therapist

Talk therapy can help but at times less cognitive treatments are required. Anything related to ANY form of therapy goes here.
AMA210
United States of America

New Therapist

Post by AMA210 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:20 pm

Just wanted to share some thoughts here...
Nice lady, mid 40s, has 12 year old daughter also
Explained the past year with LO.
She mentioned that from the interactions with LO, it's obvious there is lots of chemistry, sexual energy present
She said I was brave to get to another therapist and realizing that the previous one wasn't helping me
She is booked in April, but will get me in. Made 3 appointments for May.
Wants me to start a codependents group therapy right away.

Overall, I think she can help me.
Off to a good start...
Last edited by AMA210 on Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
53 years old, married for 27 years
LE was 22 months and LO works four blocks from my home

"Always moving forward"

David
Site Admin
Great Britain

Re: New Therapist

Post by David » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:41 pm

Aquamarine21 wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:20 pm
Wants me to start a codependents group therapy right away.
Overall, I think she can help me.
Off to a good start...
Great news and for me, group therapy was where i learned so much about myself.
"Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate." - C.G. Jung

For Professional Coaching / Therapy see http://loverelations.co.uk/limerence

Male 58

Pandapants

Post by Pandapants » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:03 pm

That's awesome, AM! Glad it went well. :-D

Spinnaker
United States of America

Post by Spinnaker » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:06 pm

Aquamarine
Great to hear the news!

Suggestion: Once you start seeing her try to schedule all appts. for a month, so you don't have to wait long between appts.

I think you will find group therapy very helpful, too. You have an ideal personality to fit right in. BTW With anything new like that, it's good to tell yourself you'll commit to 6 sessions before making a firm decision to stay or go.
That being said, I'm not saying you should have stayed with your initial therapist. That was a strange situation and you two were like oil and water.

EXlfjb
United States of America

Post by EXlfjb » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:28 pm

Looking forward to seeing how group therapy works. This sounds like a brilliant idea! Glad you liked her too, it's important to 'click' with someone (in a healthy way) because it helps the entire process.

AMA210
United States of America

Post by AMA210 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:25 pm

I am set for appointments for the next 6 weeks and hopefully starting a codependent informative group next week. I told her about the triggers. We did a short visualization, where I was talking to LO, and telling him that this is about me now and I said goodbye. Made me cry. She said this is all about you, he brought the OCD to the surface. He can't fix you. The first step is letting him go 100% because even at 90%, he is still causing you emotional pain, which is self inflicted and you still give him all of the power.
She suggested going a different route, and if you absolutely must be in the schools vicinity, add to that, this is about me now. I am not giving you any more power. Goodbye.

I mentioned Limerence and gave her the website. She hadn't heard of it but she was interested enough to jot it down, which is encouraging. She also talked about Reiki, which I know nothing about, but will read up on. She is a calm woman and I feel comfortable with her. I asked about his proximity and she agreed that it might be as a reminder to do the inner work, rather than just put as something I need to do at a later time. It's a priority because he is literally 4 blocks away.

Ugh, the other therapist told me that you will "just be obsessed with him for the next 2 years." Not not helpful at all.

"Always moving forward"

Degato

Post by Degato » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:43 pm

"She hadn't heard of it but she was interested enough to jot it down"...

Do you mean, she hadn't heard of Limerence itself, or the website?

Is Limerence unknown to a lot of therapists?..I'm going to bring it up to a therapist in my next visit, I'd have thought it would be something they would have at least heard of?!?..

Best of luck,by the way.

Heart_Open

Post by Heart_Open » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:16 pm

Reiki is great but don't approach it as something that will help cure this or give answers. A treatment can help relax you and the reiki healer can add intention to the healing. Alternatively you might want to explore the idea of reiki attunements.. a different thing altogether but great for focusing on you and self healing

AMA210
United States of America

Post by AMA210 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:31 pm

Degato wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:43 pm
"She hadn't heard of it but she was interested enough to jot it down"...

Do you mean, she hadn't heard of Limerence itself, or the website?

Is Limerence unknown to a lot of therapists?..I'm going to bring it up to a therapist in my next visit, I'd have thought it would be something they would have at least heard of?!?..

Best of luck,by the way.
Limerence itself. According to David and folks here, few therapists have heard of the term. Thanks.

"Always moving forward"

Spinnaker
United States of America

Post by Spinnaker » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:35 pm

Aquamarine-

I'm so happy to hear you had a great seesion and hear all your positive news, including appointments on her calendar.

Sending a big hug your way today! Yes, you have the power!

Spinnaker