Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Emotional ties to OCD....

Talk therapy can help but at times less cognitive treatments are required. Anything related to ANY form of therapy goes here.
JohnDeux

Emotional ties to OCD....

Post by JohnDeux » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:45 pm

Kind of an interesting take here on OCD. It joins a host of other diagnoses that at one time were only considered from a "cognitive" perspective, and now are felt to have a significant emotional component.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/gui ... d304bc8d1d
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain...."~ The Wizard of Oz

yedwa

Re: Emotional ties to OCD....

Post by yedwa » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:01 pm

Thanks for the post JD. I actually found limerence.net while doing an introspection of myself and the reasons for my OCD.

I'm highly sensitive to recognizing emotions in others. I may even obsess about what they are feeling/perceiving and try to make myself ok with a situation.

DelusionGirl

Post by DelusionGirl » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:00 pm

JohnDeux wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:45 pm
Kind of an interesting take here on OCD. It joins a host of other diagnoses that at one time were only considered from a "cognitive" perspective, and now are felt to have a significant emotional component.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/gui ... d304bc8d1d
Wow, thanks for this! This was a revelation for me! Never thought about this but it is absolutely true in my case. I rarely feel guilty but absolutely fear guilt, and realist that I avoid it at all costs, to the point of detriment in my life. I can see that now! What that means for me I don't know yet. But I have a feeling this is an important discovery. Going to re-read and ponder.
So interesting.

JohnDeux

Post by JohnDeux » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:41 pm

DelusionGirl wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:00 pm
..... it is absolutely true in my case. I rarely feel guilty but absolutely fear guilt, and realist that I avoid it at all costs, to the point of detriment in my life...... So interesting.
Doing some follow-up on that article and came across a subset of OCD that may have cropped up here before: "Relationship OCD" (ROCD). --

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relations ... e_disorder

"In addition to the maladaptive ways of thinking and behaving identified as important in OCD, models of ROCD[5][6] suggest that over-reliance on intimate-relationships or the perceived value of the partner for a person's feelings of self-worth and fear of abandonment (also see attachment theory) may increase vulnerability and maintain ROCD symptoms.[7][8]"
..........................................................................................

I too have extreme sensitivity to guilt which probably is tied to some of my narc traits: If I don't want to feel the terrible sting of the guilt for some mistake or transgression, much easier to just make it the "other person's fault". :( What I don't seem to have are 'classical' OCD traits...if anything, there is a lack of compulsively checking things with the fear that I've forgotten something important. However, I'm intrigued by the possibility that this may be compensated for by vigilant attempts at controlling chaos in my life, leaving less room for 'accidents', and feeling acute irritability when that control seems to be slipping. As with other aspects related to the limerence that brought me here, some perspective along with meditation has gone a long ways towards alleviating some of the guilt that drives these behaviors.

One of the first things that came to mind when reading the article was to what extent it was considered that 'guilt sensitivity' was a product of one's environment, one's genes, other factors, or some combo of these. It seems the jury is still out, but the authors of the original paper, in a preceding study wherein they developed the concept of 'guilt sensitivity', noted that there seemed to be two underlying factors that contributed differentially to one's guilt sensitivity: "The factor analysis revealed the presence of two factors in the GSS. When the questionnaire
was put together, such factors had not been hypothesized; the analysis of the item content,
however, does suggest that Factor 1 (items 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10) measures the painful/unacceptable
feature of a guilt experience and, at the same time, the difficulty to cope psychologically
; on the
other hand, Factor 2 (items 2, 6, 9) indicates the guilt anticipatory and the fear of their negative
consequences.
” In other words ...., the two factors are not juxtaposed,
but indicate two different guilt evaluations at different times; the first one relates to current guilt
per se (“being guilty is so ugly and intolerable”), the second one has to do with feared guilt (“I
am so afraid of being considered guilty and scolded”
)" --- http://www.apc.it/wp-content/uploads/20 ... ._2015.pdf

In this regard, I can strongly attest to an acute sensitivity arising from the second factor.
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain...."~ The Wizard of Oz

DelusionGirl

Post by DelusionGirl » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:48 am

Wow, super interesting, thanks JD

Casey.k

Post by Casey.k » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:56 pm

This was an interesting article. Going to have to read it later with more thought. I don't have bad OCD, but it's something that I see myself developing, and I am very sensitive to guilt. It's interesting that you brought out your 'narc traits' John. I've always kind of thought that I might be a narcissist. Probably not full on, but I do have some traits, like blaming others. Hmm.

NVTS
Fiji

Post by NVTS » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:29 am

I was talking with a buddy of mine who is a family physician about my obsessive thinking and explained limerence to him. I told him about my mood swings and maybe starting an SSRI.
He suggested that I take a blood test to see if I have defective production of MTHF-R. It is a key enzyme in the pathway of producing serotonin among other things.
He is a huge believer in naturopathic treatments prior to going pharmacologic. Although I can just start the MTHF, he said that in his practice he's noticed a huge correlation.

Briefly, we all have 2 copies of the gene which codes for the enzyme MTHF-R. Those with one defective gene has a slightly higher incidence of depression and similar conditions. Those with 2 bad copies have a much higher incidence. All of this is published information on the web.

Turns out I have 2 bad copies. So ive been taking the activated form of folate(can find in any supplemental shop) and have been feeling better. Just seem to be able to cope a bit better. I ran out a couple of days ago and have been feeling more depressed and limerent. Made an emergency stop at vetamin shop just now.

Thought I'd share this, maybe something to look into.
M-46-married
LO- married 47,work colleagues