Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

How to bring up limerence?

Talk therapy can help but at times less cognitive treatments are required. Anything related to ANY form of therapy goes here.
Yesnomaybeso
Australia

How to bring up limerence?

Post by Yesnomaybeso » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:34 pm

I’ve been going to therapy for about 2 months. Only once have I attempt to bring it up but I sort of chickened out. I feel embarrassed talking about this for some reason, even though I know that’s what therapy is for. I told my therapist that I had been having obsessive thoughts about someone, but she focused more on the fact that I had obsessive thoughts about something else prior, so it was just transference of a topic or something. How should I go about bringing it up?

Maddie

Re: How to bring up limerence?

Post by Maddie » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:18 pm

For me it didn't matter how, just that I did. I got a better response from one therapist vs another. The first...I stammered around and she was like, "Just spit it out" --she knew all about it. however, my current therapist didn't know what to do about it initially, it seemed. He had never heard of it. I have grown to respect him though. I think he's helping me have an appropriate relationship with a man. He's helping me deal with the "real" issues but allows me to talk about LE all I want--which has decreased over time. The first session or two I recalled my whole limerent experience. I see him as being very caring and competent.
39, F
LO, 50 , M
Mental health is an ongoing commitment to reality at all costs-- (M Scott Peck)

JohnDeux

Re: How to bring up limerence?

Post by JohnDeux » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:32 am

Yesnomaybeso wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:34 pm
.... she focused more on the fact that I had obsessive thoughts about something else prior, so it was just transference of a topic or something. How should I go about bringing it up?
I would be a bit more insistent that your immersion in your LE/LO is not something that you want dismissed. I had the same thing happen with a therapist and directed him to this site. I didn't fear him finding me here because he wasn't going see anything that I was interested in hiding from him and the therapy process. But most importantly was that I wanted him to see firsthand the suffering that many of us go through. He didn't become a convert necessarily, but could appreciate the degree to which the apparent OCD and borderline/narcissistic characteristics of the condition was causing such inner disruption that was impinging on outer functioning. Since he already knew of my family background from prior sessions, he didn't seem too surprised at my having such a disturbance,.....but wisely also suggested that with some honest self-reflection and acceptance of myself (in contrast to previous self-flagellation), the phase would pass and I would likely emerge in a better place.
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain...."~ The Wizard of Oz