Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Is My Therapist Good or Not? 12 Questions a Former Psychotherapist Asks

Talk therapy can help but at times less cognitive treatments are required. Anything related to ANY form of therapy goes here.
David
Site Admin
Great Britain

Is My Therapist Good or Not? 12 Questions a Former Psychotherapist Asks

Post by David » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:04 pm

Choosing a good competent therapist is crucial. We place so much trust in someone thats a complete stranger. And yet there is much mystique around talk therapy and how therapists work.

If your considering talk therapy or in therapy with someone you have concerns about this may be worth a watch.

"Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate." - C.G. Jung

For Professional Coaching / Therapy see http://loverelations.co.uk/limerence

Male 58

LostAgain
Great Britain

Re: Is My Therapist Good or Not? 12 Questions a Former Psychotherapist Asks

Post by LostAgain » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:46 am

Hmm,controversial stuff.
I am very suspicious of those who are 'anti-psychiatry' and reject anti-psychotics/neuroleptics.
There is no doubt that drugs are often overprescribed and indeed misprescribed and side effects can be terrible.
But....the notion that a talking therapy is likely ,in most cases ,to take away the symptoms of severe schizophrenia is ballocks.
I am sorry to say that in my many years of professional experience talking therapy is also unlikely to have much effect with somebody in the clutches of a manic episode.
It is important to recognise which treatment is most efficacious and when.
Now I await the torrent of rage and abuse which such a statement always produces.
Happy Christmas fellow limerents

David
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by David » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:20 pm

LostAgain wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:46 am
Now I await the torrent of rage and abuse which such a statement always produces.
LA, Your view is as valid as anyone else's. Like all these things, I dont feel its black or white.

His video Take These Broken Wings -- Healing from Schizophrenia, Cure without Medication is thought provoking as is the writitigns of British Psychiatrist RD Lang.

I think medication has its place and I feel psychiatry (In the UK) is too quick to prescribe as other treatments are slower and more expensive.

I also dont agree with all his views on therapists with children. Older children can add to a therapist's life expereince. And yes, ideally we sort out our baggage first before we have children.

He also doesn't mention age of the therapist. I trained with a few people in their late 20's. I felt they didn't have the life experiences nor maturity of someone in their late 40's / 50's . Then again likely my own bias as I was in the latter age group when i trained.

Anything that gets people to think before engaging with a talk therapist has to be a good thing.

Merry christmas
"Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate." - C.G. Jung

For Professional Coaching / Therapy see http://loverelations.co.uk/limerence

Male 58

Idiotic

Post by Idiotic » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:50 pm

LostAgain wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:46 am

But....the notion that a talking therapy is likely ,in most cases ,to take away the symptoms of severe schizophrenia is ballocks.
Having witnessed the relapses of Schizophrenia up close in someone i love, i have to agree , painful as it may be they are lifelong dependent on drugs.
Boy...youre gonna carry that weight, carry that weight, a long time - Golden Slumbers(The Beatles)

JohnDeux

Post by JohnDeux » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:50 pm

David wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:20 pm
I trained with a few people in their late 20's. I felt they didn't have the life experiences nor maturity of someone in their late 40's / 50's . Then again likely my own bias as I was in the latter age group when i trained.
Thanks for the links, David, and Merry Christmas to you and yours as well. Regarding your clipped lines above, I can't help but think of a time when decisions and counsel perhaps involved many across ages groups, but certainly involving elders, along with the new recruits. We get so brainwashed into thinking "Hey, you can go to war, you can vote, therefore you are an adult and are ready for any profession....". At a similar age as yourself, I see the same problem in the sciences. Even though grants are written to be reviewed by peers across an age spectrum, by and large it's the younger set, gunning to jump-start their careers, that are on the review panels. A scientist in their 20's and 30's for sure has a different perspective....possibly even a different spectrum of creativity....than they do in their 40s and 50s....and so much of the science that is see these days reflects techno-dazzle with little consideration of "wisdom". When it comes to therapy, it's almost too bad that therapy generally is a "serial" affair....going from one therapist to the next, instead of some sort of 'collective' of those who may serve the purpose better.

LostAgain and Idiotic, just to agree that there are times when medication may be the only way for some to get by. I chose/choose not to engage with anti-depressants, but I my sister takes them and says she wouldn't be here today without them. Each has their path and one can only hope that the therapy community does not pressure one in one direction versus the other.
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain...."~ The Wizard of Oz

L-F
United States of America

Post by L-F » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:21 am

I found this very interesting. Thanks for posting!
A first date question: "how aware are you of your traumas and suppressed emotions, and tell me how you are actively working to heal them before you project that shit on me?"

Idiotic

Post by Idiotic » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:01 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... WEML6619I2

Found this article interesting, though it says seemingly common sense stuff...
Boy...youre gonna carry that weight, carry that weight, a long time - Golden Slumbers(The Beatles)

Lim
United States of America

Post by Lim » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:50 pm

Thank you! As I have an appointment with a new therapist in a few weeks, I will keep this in mind.
I’m a 21 year old female (single).
My LO is a 54 year old male (married w/ kids).