Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Link to a Podcast with Russell Brand and Gabor Mate on addiction

Discussion related to all forms of addictions.
David
Site Admin
Great Britain

Link to a Podcast with Russell Brand and Gabor Mate on addiction

Post by David » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:11 pm

Well worth a listen - a focus on trauma as the origins of addictions

https://www.russellbrand.com/podcast/05 ... ted-world/
"Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate." - C.G. Jung

For Coaching, Mentoring see www.drdavidperl.com

JohnDeux

Re: Link to a Podcast with Russell Brand and Gabor Mate on addiction

Post by JohnDeux » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:07 pm

Thanks for this, David. I was intrigued by the idea that 'pain' is not really brought up in addiction recovery as a main reason for getting drawn into the addiction in the first place. It's strangely coincidental that these discussions are ongoing as the US is starting its trial against a Mexican drug cartel boss who was extradited from that country to the States on the basis that "(Guzman) is charged with 17 criminal counts including drug trafficking, conspiring to murder rivals, money laundering and weapons offenses". Yet isn't the craving for the drugs in some way part, in a broad sense, of the criminal milieu here as well? With respect to the extradition of individuals in such manner, couldn't other countries extradite the CEOs of the top 10 armaments manufacturers, mostly US-based, for the exportation of 'trafficked machinery/devices of terror'? Bit of a digression, this last one....

But good interview....Thanks!
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain...."~ The Wizard of Oz

David
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by David » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:29 am

I find it fascinating how much in denial we are as a society around childhood trauma and pain with us using anything we can to avoid dealing with the pain. I watched a documentary with Louis Theroux on anorexia last night. He doesn't normally shy away from asking tough questions. Again, very little mention of early life trauma leading to the need to control through food and this was from both therapists and those suffering from the disease.

Brad Blanton in his book on Radical Honesty suggests all world leaders need to have a few years mandatory psychotherapy before taking on the job. Its a nice idea although Im not sure that would help, such are their defences. Perhaps that can be extended to all CEO's of big corporates and drug cartels!
"Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate." - C.G. Jung

For Coaching, Mentoring see www.drdavidperl.com

JupiterTaco
United States of America

Post by JupiterTaco » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:25 pm

JohnDeux wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:07 pm
Yet isn't the craving for the drugs in some way part, in a broad sense, of the criminal milieu here as well? With respect to the extradition of individuals in such manner, couldn't other countries extradite the CEOs of the top 10 armaments manufacturers, mostly US-based, for the exportation of 'trafficked machinery/devices of terror'?
I would love to see that, definitely! Also would love to see American gun-owners and business-owners who traffic their guns over the border get extradited to the country their weapons were used in. Not sure how prevalent this is, just something that came up in The Traffickers episode on guns.
The irony that is the disordered dictating order.

ReeledIn

Post by ReeledIn » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:56 am

Thanks, David. I found it on Stitcher. Will give it a listen.
F, 48
exLO M, 54, single coworker
LE began June 2016 | EA/PA followed for 1 yr
LC/NC started 6/18/2017 and continues (at work)
Disclosed all and reconciled with SO

For my story if interested:
http://limerence.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3738

L-F
New Zealand

Post by L-F » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:58 am

Who wouldn't cover up pain with a numbing agent :-??

Whatever that agent may be
Have conquered limerence.
I'm no expert, but have learnt enough to know where to look for answers.