Addiction And Inability To Enjoy The Presenti

Discussion related to all forms of addictions.
JupiterTaco

Addiction And Inability To Enjoy The Presenti

Post by JupiterTaco » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:32 pm

I was just wondering about this. It has just occurred to me in recent weeks that for so long I was unable to really live in and enjoy the present moment. I've spent my life making plans for a life that hasn't even worked out for me. I've never felt allowed to relax and enjoy life. This came greatly from my FOO who drilled into my head that I always have to be planning something. It's no shocker that my mother is an alcoholic always planning one thing or another that usually never work out either. So my question is this: is this a problem in society or is it mores prevalent among addictive types, running from themselves?
"Be careful with your heart and what you love, make sure that it was sent from above"-John Mellencamp/India.Arie Peaceful World

JohnDeux

Re: Addiction And Inability To Enjoy The Presenti

Post by JohnDeux » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:58 pm

JupiterTaco wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:32 pm
I've never felt allowed to relax and enjoy life.

Just MHO again here. I wish it were as simple as what you indicate....that you were never allowed to enjoy the present and were always either planning for a future or, for various reasons to do with discomfort, avoiding the present. Because if it were as simple as "not being allowed", then it would be relatively simple, once out from under the thumb, foot, or boot of those who have control over you, to let that "unallowed" life flourish. And yet observation and experience tells us this rarely happens without a great deal of effort. The reason for this will fly in the face of notion that we are intelligent, rational beings with complete free will. There is a bit of truth in all three of those descriptors, but our knack at repeating the behaviors of those we witnessed, as well as the behaviors that enabled us to survive in that environment, is legendary. So contrary to immediately embracing that "better path", we tend to fall back repeatedly into behavior that we swore we would not revisit. But it's not all fatalistic....conscious, dogged effort can surmount much of this personal background and bring the determined to a better place. That too is well-documented.
JupiterTaco wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:32 pm
So my question is this: is this a problem in society or is it mores prevalent among addictive types, running from themselves?
Addictions run pretty rampant in our society, some being validated by the culture, others putting you behind bars.

But also see Gabor Mate's "In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts...." for a less-discussed side of addictive types, rooted in hopelessness from an early age. (Lots of videos on YouTube from him and free writings at his website for tasters....)

JupiterTaco

Re: Addiction And Inability To Enjoy The Presenti

Post by JupiterTaco » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:17 pm

Thanks for those JD, I'll have to look into those!
"Be careful with your heart and what you love, make sure that it was sent from above"-John Mellencamp/India.Arie Peaceful World