12 Step Program?

Discussion related to all forms of addictions.
LoneAmigo

12 Step Program?

Post by LoneAmigo » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:08 pm

I've just realized how close my Limerence resembles an addiction. I never thought I was addicted to anything, I don't do drugs, I like alcohol occaisionally, but I could easily give that up. But with my limerence, I need my daily fix. Nothing I have experienced compares to the high I feel when I think about my LO. When I fantasize about my LO, I am happy, inspired, excited, my mind races with other fantasies and ideas, so much so that she actually inspired me to write a book. The high is great, but like with most effective drugs, the side effect is horrible. After I come down off my high, I experience anger, frustration, sorrow, depression and loneliness. I wonder if some 12 step program for this like AA or something would help. I'm thinking that a cure is going to involve many stages. And I think this deserves serious attention as I could see how dangerous this really is. I mean I could see if left unchecked where this could easily spiral down to result in stalking someone or worse, or thoughts of suicide. Luckily for me it has not gone that far.

I'd be interested in other thoughts about the seriousness of this addiction. Thanks,

- Lone Amigo

David
Site Admin

Re: 12 Step Program?

Post by David » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:18 pm

Worth checking out SLAA -we are love addicts at heart
"Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate." - C.G. Jung

For confidential Coaching see http://loverelations.co.uk/limerence/

Male 57

townshend

Post by townshend » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:47 am

Yes! Both my parents are in NA so I've always said this is just like addiction, just of another kind. The high and lows, compulsions, how NC/LC feels like a withdrawal. I see the similarities more and more all the time. I've never tried seugs or alcohol because of family history and I know I have an obsessive personality, so LE is just another example of that part of me taking over.
David wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:18 pm
Sounds like the things to do!
No good has ever come from feeling guilty neither intelligence, policy, nor compassion. The guilty do not pay attention to the object but only to themselves and not even to their own interests, which might make sense, but to their anxieties. -Paul Goodman

JupiterTaco

Post by JupiterTaco » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:19 am

David wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:18 pm
I was in Coda for awhile, but I've been afraid to go back since I started cursing inside a church when I was telling someone about the bitch-bully-boss I was dealing with. #-o Of course I wasn't really connecting with this new group since I moved anyway. Most of my breakthrough-bonding moments happened with the group in my old location.
"Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel"-Dio, Holy Diver