Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

"Locus of Control" quiz....

Polls on anything related to anything. Why not create your own poll?
elleseyes

Re: "Locus of Control" quiz....

Post by elleseyes » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:35 am

Success Orientation

You have a fairly internal attribution style when it comes to success. In general, you interpret your success as a result of your skills, intelligence, nice personality, etc. although you might think it takes a bit of luck as well. As a result, you are usually able to accept the credit you deserve. Your self-esteem, motivation, and general well-being certainly benefit from this orientation.

Idiotic

Post by Idiotic » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:33 am

french girl wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:12 pm
37... :-q
Does someone here have less than that ? L-)
I felt like I had answered many questions in a mature and adult way, but seeing the result of the test makes me feel like I'm still a child 8-| ...

It's not that I attribute success to luck or that kind of thing, it's just that I feel sooo tired and helpless that I believe I can't build anything demanding too much effort in life.
So I guess I can consider I have an internal locus of control in some way : I know my life is unsatisfying because I made it that way...
I think that mainly, the external locus of control part comes from the belief that I can't do much to change the bad habits I have since my childhood...
I got 49. Thats lowish i guess. Im not surprised. Although i ticked disagree on 'nothing ever surprises me' :D
Boy...youre gonna carry that weight, carry that weight, a long time - Golden Slumbers(The Beatles)

french girl

Post by french girl » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:54 pm

L.F. was telling me about "locus of control" in another thread, so I went back to this quiz to understand why I have such poor results - or rather, such a clear orientation toward external locus of control.
L-F wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:51 pm
People who have internal locus of control believe that the outcomes of their actions are results of their own abilities. They also believe that every action has its consequence, which makes them accept the fact that things happen and it depends on them if they want to have control over it or not. People with an external locus of control tend to believe that the things which happen in their lives are out of their control, and even that their own actions are a result of external factors, such as fate, luck, the influence of powerful others (such as doctors, or limerent objects). Such people tend to blame others rather than themselves for their lives' outcomes. Due to their locating control outside themselves, externals tend to feel they have less control over their fate. People with an external locus of control tend to be more stressed and prone to clinical depression.
It seems I have a depressive locus of control : when I fail, I think it's my fault, and when I succeed, it's all about luck.
I saw L.F. talked about Bernard Weiner before she edited her post, I don't know to which part of his theory she's thinking exactly, but here's a thing I read in an article about the Attribution Theory :
When one succeeds, one attributes successes internally (“my own skill”). When a rival succeeds, one tends to credit external (e.g. luck). When one fails or makes mistakes, we will more likely use external attribution, attributing causes to situational factors rather than blaming ourselves. When others fail or make mistakes, internal attribution is often used, saying it is due to their internal personality factors.
As I lack self-esteem, I rarely attribute successes internally... :ymsigh:

I don't think I have an external locus of control generally.
As I told above, I totally know why my life is like that, and that I'm responsible for it.
I just don't believe I'm able to change it. Too tired. And not because of my "heredity", like the quiz asks, no. I just feel too tired.

I took the quiz again to try to understand my results.
I detail some of my answers to see where I'm missing something :

Whatever plans you make, there is always something unexpected that will interfere with them.
I don't make plans... Too tired. I could say that my tiredness interfere with my plans, but I DON'T MAKE PLANS...
So I can't really answer that. If I made plans though, I would not believe that something would mess them up every time, so I guess I have an internal locus there.

Intelligence is a given and cannot be trained or become stunted.
I'm a firm believer anybody can learn anything, even if it's totally naive. That's a field where I'm a total idealist.
So again, it's supposed to be an internal locus, but as I'm totally idealistic about it, I have some doubts... /:)

You cannot fool your destiny.
Destiny : I'm afraid I don't grasp this concept. Luck, okay but destiny ??

In one way or another, academic success is mostly a result of one's socio-economic background.
I agree, (so external locus...), mainly because I got academic success and I think it was totally the result of my socio-economic background.
And I realize around thirteen years old that many of my classmates couldn't get good grades just because of their socio-economic background.
Maybe I realized it a bit late, but I remember that the influence of the socio-economic background became blatant to me at this period.

Unless a person is given the chance to meet new people, he/she will end up lonely.
I'm not sure what to answer : of course, you have to meet new people not to end up lonely.
But in fact, I have a job where I can meet plenty of people, and I end up lonely the same.
I can't make friends properly, I realized it again today at work.

One can overcome painful childhood memories and diminish their impact on one's behavior, thinking, and emotions.
About all the childhood trauma and bad parenting : it makes me think to "what is crooked cannot be straightened" from the Ecclesiastes.
Generally, I enjoy the fatalistic tone of the Ecclesiastes, it fits with my state of mind.
And of course, "fatalistic" comes from "fate". But I definitely don't believe in fate.
I just think that certain things are hard to change, not that they're impossible to change. I'm just being pessimistic or realistic. You can't straighten something crooked, but you can learn to do with it. And bad habits can be broken, but it's hard work.

People get promoted just because their bosses like them.
Well, I tend to answer yes to this. Because many jobs are not that technical that you can leave personal preferences out of it when it comes to chose who is being promoted.
But at the same time, my manager wants to promote me on a job, and I know he doesn't like me much (my father figure doesn't like me :(( booh).
I think he just didn't have anybody else to give this job, so I got lucky once more... :D

Being at the right place at the right time is essential for getting what you want in life.
I answer yes to that, BUT of course, you have to recognize and seize the opportunity when it comes, so it's not all about luck : it's about being able to take the step, too.
L-F wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:51 pm
People with an external locus of control tend to believe that the things which happen in their lives are out of their control, and even that their own actions are a result of external factors, such as fate, luck, the influence of powerful others (such as doctors, or limerent objects).
Well, for example I don't give a lot of credits to "powerful" doctors, nor to medicine in fact.
Another thing which makes me doubt in the quiz is the attitude towards medicine : there's a question about medical screenings that seems to imply that if you do these screenings, it means you have an internal locus (because you take care of your health, you feel responsible), and maybe another question like this.
But I know a lot of people who believe in medicine like they would believe in magic, and I don't consider this like having an internal locus.
I think that many people with little health problems should just listen to their own body instead of abandonning it blindly to medicine, without any critical awareness. Of course, I'm not talking about complicated problems or serious illnesses, just common sense.
(this day at work we were talking about several coworkers who got operated for the carpal tunnel syndrome, and gave up working after that : to blindly trust a surgeon because "he knows better" may be a bad idea...)

LisaTranscending

Post by LisaTranscending » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:38 am

Frenchgirl shows the most internal fortitude but gets that low score? Mine was low too.said I was a mixed up case. 8-}

MrSpock

Post by MrSpock » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:32 am

I got 83.

But I think that before LE I might have scored higher than this... With LE I learned that some things are farther away from my own control than I always thought.

L-F
United States of America

Post by L-F » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:25 am

french girl wrote:
Does someone here have less than that ? L-)
I felt like I had answered many questions in a mature and adult way, but seeing the result of the test makes me feel like I'm still a child 8-| ...

It's not that I attribute success to luck or that kind of thing, it's just that I feel sooo tired and helpless that I believe I can't build anything demanding too much effort in life.
So I guess I can consider I have an internal locus of control in some way : I know my life is unsatisfying because I made it that way...
I think that mainly, the external locus of control part comes from the belief that I can't do much to change the bad habits I have since my childhood...
Did you get the same score the second time?
When you are external facing,
how do you expect to do the inner work? :-??

L-F
United States of America

Post by L-F » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:39 am

french girl wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:54 pm
I don't think I have an external locus of control generally.
As I told above, I totally know why my life is like that, and that I'm responsible for it.
I just don't believe I'm able to change it. Too tired. And not because of my "heredity", like the quiz asks, no. I just feel too tired.
Your post reminded me of this one... where Roland Bal talks about complex trauma, ptsd, exhaustion, fatigue and tiredness.

https://rolandbal.com/trauma-and-ptsd-e ... tiredness/
When you are external facing,
how do you expect to do the inner work? :-??

french girl

Post by french girl » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:03 pm

L-F wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:25 am
french girl wrote:
Did you get the same score the second time?
No, the second time I got 36 :D .
« Love is giving something you don't have to someone who doesn't want it. » Jacques Lacan