Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

"Locus of Control" quiz....

Polls on anything related to anything. Why not create your own poll?
JohnDeux

"Locus of Control" quiz....

Post by JohnDeux » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:48 pm

I'm not sure if this is the right sub-forum for this ..... it's a quiz, but via a link. David, please feel free to move to a location where appropriate.

"Locus of Control: The extent to which people believe they have power over events in their lives. A person with an internal locus of control believes that he or she can influence events and their outcomes, while someone with an external locus of control blames outside forces for everything."

I scored pretty high as one with an "external locus of control". My interest here was in the general way in which many limerents feel powerless over the 'control' that LO has over the feelings and behavior of the LS.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/tests/p ... style-test
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain...."~ The Wizard of Oz

Spinnaker
United States of America

Re: "Locus of Control" quiz....

Post by Spinnaker » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:36 am

JD,

I took the test and then read about locus of control for a good hour. Very interesting. Thank you for sharing!

74 "fairly internal attribution style"

"In general, you interpret your success as a result of your skills, intelligence, nice personality etc... although you might think it takes a little bit of luck as well. As a result you are usually able to accept the credit . Your self esteem motivation and general well-being certainly benefit from this orientation."

Heart_Open

Post by Heart_Open » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:58 am

Tough quiz as I thought some of the questions were a bit vague. I hesitated to take the quiz anyway as I know I have a very strong internal locus of control. This is something I have cultivated over the last 10 years (9 of which I have spent in and out of LE with the same LO but by no means is he the main influence). I never used to - sometimes it comes with maturity I think. I also studied (hard lol!) from 2001 - 2013 so that had a very significant part to play. I used to attribute a lot of my situations to 'destiny' or 'fate' and now almost fully attribute it to me. To a great extent, it is me in control of my thoughts and actions. Others influence, yes, but they do not make me do anything. And I am still learning. Oh and I just want to add that Success is no longer my priority. Enjoying life, making the most of every situation and learning what I can from each moment and person I meet is pretty much the overriding priority of my life right now.

Anyway, I got 84/100 'Success Orientation'

You have an internal attribution style when it comes to success. You tend to interpret your success as a result of your skills, intelligence, nice personality, etc., rarely attributing it to external forces. As a result, you are able to accept the credit you deserve. Your self-esteem, motivation, and general well-being certainly benefit from this orientation.

JohnDeux

Post by JohnDeux » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:23 pm

Just wondering for those with a stronger internal locus of control if the LE was then even more of a shock to the system. What I mean is that if one was accustomed to feeling a strong sense of self-determination and drawing on internal compass for guidance on decisions, did the LE.....feeling somewhat taken over by LO's presence....cause severe disconnect with one's normal inner reserves or resources?
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain...."~ The Wizard of Oz

Heart_Open

Post by Heart_Open » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:24 pm

JohnDeux wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:23 pm
Just wondering for those with a stronger internal locus of control if the LE was then even more of a shock to the system. What I mean is that if one was accustomed to feeling a strong sense of self-determination and drawing on internal compass for guidance on decisions, did the LE.....feeling somewhat taken over by LO's presence....cause severe disconnect with one's normal inner reserves or resources?
Not sure if it was clear in my previous post but I believe my internal locus of control strengthened partly as a result of my LE. The realisation I had feelings for this guy very much hit me like a truck - where the hell did that come from? That said, I was always very much aware that as much as these feelings 'just happened to me' that it was up to me to control the situation. I put several things in place to put distance between me and LO whilst working with him and even left my job because I had to take more control over how it was going. Hope that makes sense - will gladly talk some more about it. It is up to me now to control how I think about him, etc. But sometimes I kinda just like doing it!

sydney0845

Post by sydney0845 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:18 pm

You have a mixed attribution style when it comes to success. Sometimes you interpret your success as a result of your skills, intelligence, nice personality, etc. Other times, you attribute it to external factors, such as luck, ease of task, or other people's help. As a consequence, you don't always take the credit you deserve. Your self-esteem, motivation, and general well-being would most likely be improved if you realized that you actively influence positive events in your life.

WonkyBrainThe2nd

Post by WonkyBrainThe2nd » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:17 am

47 for me. Though I think I slide around that scale quite a lot.

For most of my life I think I had an overly extreme(?) internal(?) locus of control. Though I may be confusing it with self-blame (which started in childhood when I believed to be to blame for the abuse I encountered - "If I'd acted differently, been smarter, more loveable, I could have avoided it" kind of thinking).

Both limerence and an altered state experience shifted my place on that scale. I don't think I can entirely rule out that some unseen force is at work. It's such an intense and elaborate mirage and I'm constantly wondering where the origin of it lies - what Thing is creating it. Whilst being a painful (and seemingly dysfunctional) experience, it feels purposeful and like it has a benevolent intention behind it. If it's a progression towards self-actualisation, why do we as humans need to self-actualise? If it's to understand and grow from past hurts, then why? What force is at work behind that? Is it just the part of us that needs a survival of the species?

My altered state experience showed me parts of my brain I just can't unsee now. It delved into some very weird primal part of it (collective unconscious?) that was full of symbols and meaning. I came away from it with a feeling of being part of something bigger than myself, connected to others (feeling part of them and them part of me) and driven by something that was was possibly separate from my internal locus of control. I don't feel "under LO's spell" (I'm too aware of my own manipulation of his feelings) but I do feel I'm playing out something that was meant to be played out.

Doing the survey, my finger hovered for ages over the "are you in charge of your destiny?" question. I honestly don't know. The more things people discover in science the weirder it gets. Like how the universe is dark matter but they don't know what dark matter is. Or how sub-atomic particles can disappear from one place and pop up in another. When people come up with theories such as the one that this is all a hologram being projected from a black hole and we're living a life that's already been lived, or that we're living in a simulation or something, I feel like that's entirely possible. So I don't know if I'm master of my destiny. I'm living my life as if I am in charge, just in case there's some Judgement Day where you get told "You know what, it was all in your hands". I don't want to be left with a feeling of "oops".

french girl

Post by french girl » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:12 pm

37... :-q
Does someone here have less than that ? L-)
I felt like I had answered many questions in a mature and adult way, but seeing the result of the test makes me feel like I'm still a child 8-| ...

It's not that I attribute success to luck or that kind of thing, it's just that I feel sooo tired and helpless that I believe I can't build anything demanding too much effort in life.
So I guess I can consider I have an internal locus of control in some way : I know my life is unsatisfying because I made it that way...
I think that mainly, the external locus of control part comes from the belief that I can't do much to change the bad habits I have since my childhood...
« Love is giving something you don't have to someone who doesn't want it. » Jacques Lacan

WonkyBrainThe2nd

Post by WonkyBrainThe2nd » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:40 pm

I think you're being too hard on yourself Frenchgirl :) Personally, I think some people were dealt a bad hand early on (like most people on here it seems) and whose path consequently doesn't take them in the direction of help, or they encounter less than others do, which increases a feeling of helplessness (and they do sometimes find themselves in circumstances they do not have any control in). That's why I try not to be too hard on myself these days. A few years ago, following a "breakdown", I was arrested and sectioned, and a psychologist said something to me that really stuck. She said "If you'd been a black man you wouldn't be sitting here - you'd be going through the prison system and not mental health services." Which really gave me the realisation that two people can do the same thing and yet have different consequences, according to what hand they were dealt (or how society perceives them). For example, it would be super-hard for someone born into poverty to climb their way to the top. Likewise, if I hadn't been dealt the hand I had initially (family stuff etc), and if I'd encountered some kind of help, or even known what kind of help to get, I probably wouldn't have had a breakdown. I started to have more love and sympathy towards myself after that. Some people just have a harder climb than others. We'll get there. :D

EXlfjb
United States of America

Post by EXlfjb » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:03 am

Success Orientation: You have a fairly internal attribution style when it comes to success. In general, you interpret your success as a result of your skills, intelligence, nice personality, etc. although you might think it takes a bit of luck as well. As a result, you are usually able to accept the credit you deserve. Your self-esteem, motivation, and general well-being certainly benefit from this orientation.
JohnDeux wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:23 pm
Yes! Total shock to the system! A total disconnect and a bleepin long time to find my feet! Or is that orientation ;) Add that to the LE and BOOM... double-whammy!

Aww FrenchGirl don't be too hard on yourself, it's a quiz that should be taken lightly anyway :)