Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

How big a narcissist are you?

Polls on anything related to anything. Why not create your own poll?

Take the quiz here https://psychcentral.com/quizzes/narcissistic.htm and then post your answer.

0-10 - low traits
58%
11-20 - moderate traits
33%
21-30 - highish traits
8%
31-40 - very high traits
1%

Total votes: 113

Cookie

Re: How big a narcissist are you?

Post by Cookie » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:06 pm

No, FreeBird. Every human has narcissistic traits, so a "2" puts you on the very low end.

Radey
Great Britain

Post by Radey » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:17 pm

Scored 7. A few questions could have gone either way. I have to say that the qualities that I admire so much about my exLO will put him high on the narc scale.

french girl

Post by french girl » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:44 pm

Scored 12 (trying hard to make a higher score :ymcowboy: )
Anyway this quizz is not suitable for covert narcissism, or shy narcissism, which is another major form of narcissim too...

There's something like a quizz for covert narcissim on this site (it's quite low in the page, though...) :
23 Signs You're Secretly a Narcissist Masquerading as a Sensitive Introvert
FreeBird wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:32 pm
Does LO still mirror my narc traits? :-s
Anyway, as Cookie said, narcissism is a part of everyone's personality...
Some limerent people may have a relationship with their LO mainly based on mirroring, trying to feel important in LO's eyes, looking for validation... so that's looking for narcissistic validation, which means they have a few problems with their narcissism (and self-esteem), it doesn't mean they are totally narcissistic or pathological narcissists...

I think my LO allows me to become aware of the problems I always had with my own narcissistic traits : having him to mirror these traits, I can understand the problem better. (it's easier to see something that's in front of me, in LO's behaviour : when the narcissism problem is inside myself, I just can't see it :p )

Cookie

Post by Cookie » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:52 pm

french girl wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:44 pm
Scored 12 (trying hard to make a higher score :ymcowboy: )
Some limerent people may have a relationship with their LO mainly based on mirroring, trying to feel important in LO's eyes, looking for validation... so that's looking for narcissistic validation, which means they have a few problems with their narcissism (and self-esteem), it doesn't mean they are totally narcissistic or pathological narcissists...

I think my LO allows me to become aware of the problems I always had with my own narcissistic traits : having him to mirror these traits, I can understand the problem better. (it's easier to see something that's in front of me, in LO's behaviour : when the narcissism problem is inside myself, I just can't see it :p )
Good stuff here, french girl.

This last LO experience was all mirroring, and I couldn't even see it! (ironic, no?)

And you are right -- there are different types that this type of quiz doesn't fully cover. My previous LO, a decade ago, was a malignant narcissist, and he was terrifying. I would nudge him into the psychopath category, honestly.

I agree with you that the mirroring is helpful, although I can't say I'd want LO to stick around for that purpose.

Oh! I scored a 20. And now I'm going to go hide under a rock.

Idiotic

Post by Idiotic » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:46 pm

10! guess im not a Narc. Thought i was!
Boy...youre gonna carry that weight, carry that weight, a long time - Golden Slumbers(The Beatles)

FreeBird

Post by FreeBird » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:12 pm

Thank you for the quiz, french girl!!

I just took the quiz...I scored a 72 :-o . I'm a covert narc =)) Explains so much.

Today was a long day and my brain is kinda fried, so I will take it again on a day when I'm well-rested, but I secretly doubt there will be too much of difference in my score. x_x

Seeing it in black and white helps alot. Now how do I get better? :(

Cookie

Post by Cookie » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:27 am

Free, I wouldn't totally hang my hat on an online quiz. If we did, I would be with Idris Elba right now because I took a quiz a few weeks ago that showed he is my "perfect soulmate love match."

All joking aside, if you are serious about exploring these tendencies, maybe go talk to a professional? They can administer an actual psychological test that might be more accurate, if you want more precision in terms of a label. Could be your first step in "getting better."

That said, the fact that we're here taking about this stuff is an indicator that we are on the right track. So interesting after all these years of being a narcissist magnet, I turn out to have a lot of those same tendencies.

As David says, "Two sides of the same coin."

FreeBird

Post by FreeBird » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:27 am

Cookie wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:27 am
Free, I wouldn't totally hang my hat on an online quiz. If we did, I would be with Idris Elba right now because I took a quiz a few weeks ago that showed he is my "perfect soulmate love match."

:)) Oh, sweet Cookie, you're delicious!

All joking aside, if you are serious about exploring these tendencies, maybe go talk to a professional?

Finances are real tight for us now, so I have to look for free sources of therapy. This forum is an invaluable resource. I'm doing self-help kind of things, too.

Cookie

Post by Cookie » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:06 pm

Hee hee, thanks Free, but given my high narc score I best not let it go to my head. ;;)

I'm right where you are with the therapy costs. I will pay out of pocket (don't want an insurance trail), and can really only afford once a month.

Agreed there are lots of good self-help resources out there, and this forum is wonderful. I'm starting to think of "narcissism" as an umbrella term with different categories under it. I guess in the end, the label isn't all that important -- but I always feel better putting a name to stuff.

french girl

Post by french girl » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:00 pm

FreeBird wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:12 pm
I just took the quiz...I scored a 72 :-o . I'm a covert narc =)) Explains so much.
In fact, the author says :
In a recent study conducted on college students, the average score on this scale was in the mid-upper 60s.

So if your score hovered around that range, you're about average in covert narcissism.

If your score was below 40, you scored very low in covert narcissism.

If, however, your score was 82 and above, you scored high in covert narcissism.

And if your score was above 97, well, you might want to own yourself as a card-carrying covert narcissist
I took the quizz yesterday, I scored 96.
(I just knew I had some healthy parts, after all :D ).

I hesitated a bit answering some questions, because some of the assertions were true for me when I was younger, but are no longer true, or not so true anymore.
It's getting a little better, as I'm getting older. :|
(it would be really desperate if I hadn't learn anything in forty years... :-")