Would I be satisfied with friendship

A common and understandable desire, can it work?
ridiculous

Would I be satisfied with friendship

Post by ridiculous »

I’ve been working on my LO for going on 7 years now. Toward what I have no idea, that kind of changes as I go along. There have been times when I wanted to have an affair with him. Times when I’ve felt I just wanted us to interact in some way more often. Many times I’ve just wanted to “flirt” with him more because it gives me such a charge. But my LO is a shy person. And he’s been a bit of a project for me to try to figure out how to get him to let me in, how to get him to feel more comfortable interacting with me. And I have really not given up, although for my own good and his I probably should have! I feel like at this point after so many years there’s no way anything could possibly change, yet, dare I say it, we have been making progress recently. Like I changed my tactics and they’re working better. And now I’m back to not knowing what I actually want and where I’d like to take this. I do think friendship of some sort would be nice and that’s how I’ve been trying to take my interactions . Less flirty more friendly. But with our attraction could we make it work.

NoDayDreaming

Re: Would I be satisfied with friendship

Post by NoDayDreaming »

friendship, in general, is good.
only life will tell you if you can be friends with him. you can be only friends when you fully understand that there is no chance of any romantic relationship, ever.

Pierre
Sweden

Post by Pierre »

Hey R!
Just curious, do you have a partner? Married?

AnnieKaye9924
Canada

Post by AnnieKaye9924 »

Probably not. If you guys have any type of chemistry, even completely platonic + you are attracted then I think just friends would be hard.

Are either of you available?

Spinnaker
United States of America

Post by Spinnaker »

“...the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being. It may even be assumed that just as the unconscious affects us, so the increase in our consciousness affects the unconscious.”
Carl Jung

Helpmeplease
Great Britain

Post by Helpmeplease »

I am also thinking about you this. I am leaning towards AKs view but if you can solve LE and get 100pc no possibility of relationship then it seems theoretically possible. It seems risky to be friends with much more downside risk than upside happiness. Slipping back into LE seems quite easy and be a long term angst, disappoinment, chase, fantasy etc which do you really want?

Definitely cut out flirting or any kind of interaction which strengths emotional bond or dependencies

Pierre
Sweden

Post by Pierre »

So, this has been an ongoing thing for many years now, Ridiculous!?
Do you feel that others at your work place have any idea about it?

ridiculous

Post by ridiculous »

Thanks for responses. Re Pierre, yes we're both married. And yes has been going on for years. I have wondered if anyone has ever noticed our sometimes intense conversations. A colleague actually once said to me " I was watching you. That was an intense conversation." So to some extent I guess yes. But most of my colleagues are so self absorbed I doubt it!

MajorProblemo

Post by MajorProblemo »