“Well, if you can’t tell, does it matter?”

A common and understandable desire, can it work?
JohnDeux

“Well, if you can’t tell, does it matter?”

Post by JohnDeux »

Didn't know where to put this musing. Since we don't have a category called "Can we be friend, lover, or limerent over a robot", I thought to place it here. For someone in their 50s, just listened to what I consider a rather chilling interview/talk radio show about artificial intelligence....about already using robotic "pets" as a substitute for real therapy animals in nursing homes. As part of an audience inducer for the Q&A section, they played a section from the series "Westworld", a Sci-Fi TV series the distribution of which is unknown to me. However, in the scene played a man is apparently growing "warm" to the female across from him when she says "Don't you want to ask the question?", to which he responds "Are you a robot?". This is met with "Well, if you can't tell, does it matter?". Growing up watching "Star Trek", one always felt pretty safe knowing we weren't going to embark on intergalactic travel any time soon, certainly not in my lifetime. But the apparently accelerated advance of artificial intelligence and "life-like" robots, supposedly even imbued with "empathy algorithms", is getting downright creepy.

Still,....makes you wonder. Would it be possible to become limerent over a robot? :-B Can "wound mate" be written into an algorithm? :-s
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain...."~ The Wizard of Oz

David
Site Admin
Great Britain

Re: “Well, if you can’t tell, does it matter?”

Post by David »

I came away feeling very uncomfortable after watching the film Her - seemed like he was limerent over his operating system.

Do you want help with limerence from the founder of this site?
I'm a qualified counsellor, psychotherapist, medical practitioner and leadership coach.
To book a session see http://loverelations.co.uk/on-line-support-for-limerence-from-dr-david-perl/

townshend
United States of America

Post by townshend »

(This stuff freaks me out too!!)
Yes someone could. I was gonna mention the movie Her but David beat me to the punch!
No good has ever come from feeling guilty neither intelligence, policy, nor compassion. The guilty do not pay attention to the object but only to themselves and not even to their own interests, which might make sense, but to their anxieties. -Paul Goodman

David
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by David »

townshend wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:12 pm
I was gonna mention the movie Her but David beat me to the punch!
:-bd :-bd
Do you want help with limerence from the founder of this site?
I'm a qualified counsellor, psychotherapist, medical practitioner and leadership coach.
To book a session see http://loverelations.co.uk/on-line-support-for-limerence-from-dr-david-perl/

JohnDeux

Post by JohnDeux »

Re: "Her"

...yeah, that one's on the list for winter viewing. Just a bit weird you know..... a lot of sci-fi imaginings were just too far out there to ever imagine seeing the day they would arrive on your door step,....or in your 'inbox'. Recalling when "Her" and "Ex Machina" were released and hearing that story today reminded me of the end of "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep", the 1968 Philip K Dick story on which "Bladerunner" is based. Although not in the film version, the book ends with main character giddy over finding some representation of real life out in the wilds of the west coast U.S.:

"....."I have something." He held a cardboard box with both hands; when he entered the apartment he did not set it down. As if, she thought, it contained something too fragile and too valuable to let go of; he wanted to keep it perpetually in his hands.

She said, "I'll fix you a cup of coffee." At the stove she pressed the coffee button and in a moment had put the imposing mug by his place at the kitchen table. Still holding the box he seated himself, and on his face the round-eyed wonder remained. In all the years she had known him she had not encountered this expression before. Something had happened since she had seen him last; since, last night, he had gone off in his car. Now he had come back and this box had arrived with him: he held, in the box, everything that had happened to him.

"I'm going to sleep," he announced. "All day. I phoned in and got Harry Bryant; he said take the day off and rest. Which is exactly what I'm going to do." Carefully he set the box down on the table and picked up his coffee mug; dutifully, because she wanted him to, he drank his coffee.

Seating herself across from him she said, "What do you have in the box, Rick?

"A toad."

"Can I see it?" She watched as he untied the box and removed the lid. "Oh," she said, seeing the toad; for some reason it frightened her. "Will it bite?" she asked.

"Pick it up. It won't bite; toads don't have teeth." Rick lifted the toad out and extended it toward her. Stemming her aversion she accepted it. "I thought toads were extinct," she said as she turned it over, curious about its legs; they seemed almost useless. "Can toads jump like frogs? I mean, will it jump out of my hands suddenly?"

"The legs of toads are weak," Rick said. "That's the main difference between a toad and a frog, that and water. A frog remains near water but a toad can live in the desert. I found this in the desert, up near the Oregon border. Where everything had died." He reached to take it back from her. But she had discovered something; still holding it upside down she poked at its abdomen and then, with her nail, located the tiny control panel. She flipped the panel open.

"Oh." His face fell by degrees. "Yeah, so I see; you're right." Crestfallen, he gazed mutely at the false animal; he took it back from her, fiddled with the legs as if baffled - he did not seem quite to understand. He then carefully replaced it in its box. "I wonder how it got out there in the desolate part of California like that. Somebody must have put it there. No way to tell what for."

"Maybe I shouldn't have told you - about it being electrical." She put her hand out, touched his arm; she felt guilty, seeing the effect it had on him, the change.

"No," Rick said. "I'm glad to know. Or rather - " He became silent. "I'd prefer to know.""

Devil's Avocado

Post by Devil's Avocado »

Here's a more interesting question; can they love you back?

http://www.angelfire.com/or/grace/marionettes.html

Spinnaker
United States of America

Post by Spinnaker »

Last edited by Spinnaker on Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“...the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being. It may even be assumed that just as the unconscious affects us, so the increase in our consciousness affects the unconscious.”
Carl Jung

NVTS
Fiji

Post by NVTS »

had a short lime rent experience towards the character played by Amy Pohler in the Pixar movie "Inside Out" -"Joy"
When all else fails;
READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

JohnDeux

Post by JohnDeux »

Chrysalis wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:06 pm
Here's a more interesting question; can they love you back?
It does tend to complicate things, yes? B-)

Ivanhoe
United States of America

Post by Ivanhoe »

Agree, AI is pretty creepy. Don't think it can CREATE meaning however.
65 (feel 50); Male

"Grief makes children of us all. Any intellectual difference is destroyed. The wisest know nothing."
- Emerson