Refusing to Romanticize

Open forum ... what's on your mind? Want to vent or lament about your Limerent/Love Object? This is the ideal place.
closedbook

Refusing to Romanticize

Post by closedbook » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:19 pm

Hi! I'm a new member here, I've struggled on and off with limerence my entire life (as far back as I can remember). I have also been diagnosed with OCD.

One of the things that has been helpful lately has been trying to resist the temptation to romanticize limerence. I'm a pretty sensitive, nervous person who has some trouble distinguishing fantasy from reality, so it's easy to make myself the star of an ongoing drama taking place in my head. But limerence is NOT romantic, and those impulses are the opposite of helpful. I'm not some dangerous femme fatale who is taking her own life by the reigns, doing whatever she wants and livin' for it. I'm a person who struggles with a little understood disorder that has the potential to ruin my marriage, not to mention potentially my career, and humiliate myself and my family. Limerence is incredibly frustrating, slow to heal and quick to return, so taking a "break" from the brutal process of healing sometimes takes the form, for me, of this romance novel, intense, meant-to-be, nonsense.

Anyway. This is my thought of the day.
-Closedbook

JupiterTaco

Re: Refusing to Romanticize

Post by JupiterTaco » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:24 pm

Welcome to the forum! I truly agree with that. My life has become much easier in that way by doing the same thing. I didn't realize how much of this could be avoided by just taking things at face value with other people and not letting myself get carried away with fantasies.
"Be careful with your heart and what you love, make sure that it was sent from above"-John Mellencamp/India.Arie Peaceful World

marko

Re: Refusing to Romanticize

Post by marko » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:49 pm

Life long here but didn't realize until too late. Moving ahead and these things I need to remember.