Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Men and their mother wound

Discussion about the way back.
David
Site Admin
Great Britain

Men and their mother wound

Post by David » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:56 am

An article that is relevant for so many of us men. Any man here with limerence is in part playing out some part of his mother wound.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/rick-bel ... 20718.html
"Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate." - C.G. Jung

For Professional Coaching / Therapy see http://loverelations.co.uk/limerence

Male 58

JohnDeux

Re: Men and their mother wound

Post by JohnDeux » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:50 pm

Thank you for that link, David.....definitely hits a injured spot in me. Additionally, the accompanying photo at the top of the article riveted my eyes as my mother loved to dance and the 'phantom image' of her doing so is emblazoned into my psyche. Good read and important work to do for many.
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain...."~ The Wizard of Oz

Spinnaker
United States of America

Post by Spinnaker » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:48 pm

I applaud all men who address these issues. Being open to the truth that they suffer maternal wounding seems to be a good sign that individuals seeking healing have a fighting chance to resolve these issues. And, with time and treatment, discovery can lead to change.

David, can you offer some examples of “dark or negative aspects of the feminine”? Is that emulating behaviors their mother possessed or the influence of those attributes coming out in an unhealthy way?

“The Mother Wound (particularly if held or hidden below the level of conscious awareness) can also predispose a man to vulnerability and susceptibility to dark or negative aspects of the feminine, as well as conditioning him into blindness to and acceptance of behaviors from women in his life who express them. He may even seek out and be attracted to women who embody elements of the shadow side of the feminine without being aware he’s doing it or understanding why. And he may find it difficult to stop.”

Matty5000
Canada

Post by Matty5000 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:59 pm

Thank you for that article David :)
One day at a time boys, we'll get there!
Other people make excellent mirrors.
Male: 35

David
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by David » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:23 am

Spinnaker wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:48 pm
David, can you offer some examples of “dark or negative aspects of the feminine”? Is that emulating behaviors their mother possessed or the influence of those attributes coming out in an unhealthy way?
check this out

there is a longer clip thats the full interview

"Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate." - C.G. Jung

Male 58

Spinnaker
United States of America

Post by Spinnaker » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:31 am

Thank you for suggesting the informative video, David! I recall you posting that awhile back, watching the interview and being so impressed. It was helpful to see the full interview again. Clips like that seem to reveal more as time passes. It’s remarkable how much I’ve learned over the course of this limerence journey. So much yet to learn....

David
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by David » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:01 am

Spin - the more i learn the more i realise how much i dont know

Male 58

Sunflower
Great Britain

Post by Sunflower » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:20 am

Re the last video, I am seeing this so much everywhere - women playing the victim as it gives them power. Why do I feel disloyal writing that! I see my friends doing it and I know I used to / probably still do it. I’m reminded the most recent being the girl on Celeb. Big Brother who accused the guy of violence forgetting the whole thing was being filmed and it was pure projection. For once, thank god for cameras - could have ruined his life. A huge lesson about the female shadow.

JohnDeux

Post by JohnDeux » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:45 pm

I watched the short version of the video and agree with her assessment. But just to add (in case it was not present in the longer version) and with the understanding that it was posted as an answer to Spinnaker's query, I think seething anger will be present in both males and females of our culture. Both genders are programmed from an early age to live by a certain code of conduct and both can be stifling in their own way. I suspect that is part of the point, David, of at least *some* of the men's movement efforts, yes? Does this issue just go back to the old "battle of the sexes" of the early 70's? Don't know......but I'm hoping there is more enlightenment in discussions today than there was back then. The woman in the video that you posted was aware of things like projection and subconscious hostilities which, I may be wrong, but I don't think was much part of the discussion back then.
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain...."~ The Wizard of Oz